Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Powerpoint session (OCX objects) locks windows account

Hi all,

I've been testing and playing around with QlikView OCX objects in a powerpoint file.

This is working pretty good I must say, only using the powerpoint seems to be locking out my Windows account every now and then.

The OCX objects come from a separate document on our access point to which only named users have access right now.

For the time being I'm the only one actually using it though.

To create the PowerPoint, I opened the AccessPoint document in my QlikView desktop client and then copied the needed objects into the PowerPoint file.

The objects all react as expected and update when opening/browsing the slideshow.

But I'm puzzled on what could be causing my Windows account getting locked out?

My guess is that my QlikView session used by PowerPoint 'hangs' on the server or maybe this causes a series of logon attempts resulting in the account getting locked automatically by the Windows AD server...

This is getting really annoying and I would hate to drop the combined functionalities of QlikView and PowerPoint because of this.

Thanks for your ideas and answers,

Erwin.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

In reply to my own thread, I'd like to point out we sourced the original problem not being due to the use of powerpoint and QlikView sessions as we thought at first.

This rather came through both the Windows password vault retaining conflicting certificates as well as JIRA (ticketing system) retaining an old password in IE history.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
marsmike
Creator
Creator

Hi, Erwin.

I am trying to to put QV charts into a Powerpoint slide and have them update automatically when the associated chart is updated in QlikView.

It sounds like this is what you were able to do....can you explain how you did it?  The reference manual only says to install the QlikView IE plug-in.  There is no info as to HOW to do that...or where the plug-in resides to download it from.

Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Mike

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Mike open your dashboard with the IE plugin.

Copy the object you want.

Paste it into PowerPoint.

make sure you have the latest IE plugin version installed.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike,

Basically this option should become available when you install the QlikView Desktop application.

To sketch our final solution somewhat:

• we created an application to hold the used objects and their respective data
  • this application is scheduled to reload overnight on our server
  • When building the slide show in powerpoint, I had my QlikView desktop open the application in server. (See File -> Open in server)
  • By copying the needed objects within QlikView desktop as 'Objects', I could simply paste them into the presentation. They should become OCX objects automatically.
  • Whenever I open the presentation, the OCX plugin automatically tries to connect to our QlikView server (depending on the infrastructure available, number of objects used, data size,.. this can take a while) and fetches the latest object version with up to date data.

Hope this helps you out!

Best regards,

Erwin.

Not applicable
Author

In reply to my own thread, I'd like to point out we sourced the original problem not being due to the use of powerpoint and QlikView sessions as we thought at first.

This rather came through both the Windows password vault retaining conflicting certificates as well as JIRA (ticketing system) retaining an old password in IE history.

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

totally agree, but you do not need to have the desktop application.

you can copy directly from the access point.

marsmike
Creator
Creator

Erwin, thanks for replying.  It's the IE plug-in that I don't know about.  I have a stand alone version of QlikView, and I launch it the standard way...with an icon.  When you say to "open your Dashboard with the IE plugin", I'm not sure what that means.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike,

To do this, your application needs to reside on a QlikView server.

If I remember right, this system doesn't work when using a local dasboard on your local computer.

Since you don't know about the IE plugin (something available on the server access point), I guess this is your main problem.

If you have a server available, (have) deploy your dashboard on it, and copy the objects through the use of the web based IE plugin or using the "Open in server..." option within the desktop application.

Erwin.