Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

RAM usage high after upgrade QVS 11.2 SR4 / 5

Hi

after we upgraded from QV 11 SR2 to QV 11.2 SR4 (and then SR5) end of November 2013, we experienced a high use of RAM, without any active user and/or session. It fluctuates around 110 +/- 8 GB achieving or surpassing working set Limits. Total RAM in the QVS is 128 Gb

According to the QMC Statistics, we have 16 loaded documents, in the Access Point we have document sizing approx. 25 GB

This issues originates that users cannot open large documents (above 5 Gbs to 9 Gbs) and that the Performance of smaller documents less than 1Gb is very slow. Making filters or using Charts take a lot of time or is practically impossible

Do you have experienced similar issues after the upgrade? With QVS 11 SR2 everything was fine, now authentication, license lease and Performance are not working well

Besides, are there current Tools for measuring object, data model, expression,etc , performance in qlikview documents?
I used the qlikview load Simulator but i cannot see anything wrong there

Thanks for any comments on this.

Felipe

14 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Felipe,

Did you find any solution for this.

For me response of dashboard is even slower with SR5 and crashing (becoming not responding) so often.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Veena

felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Veena

unfortunately no solution yet. We will check with QlikTech directly what the Problem is, but for sure it is an issue of the release. I update when i have the solution

best

felipe

felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Veena

we did not resolve the Problem yet, but found something interesting.

We tested a big document 8 Gb  in differente Environments, using always the same steps, i.e., opening document, clicking on tab, selecting Chart, doing filter ,.. etc. and took note of RAM usage. Everytime was the QVS restartet

Basic info

QV Environment (web Server virtual machine on DMZ / QVS on physical machine in Intranet)

all users log as custom users (no use of AD)

QVS RAM = 128 GB

QV document Size = 8 GB. When document is open the RAM usage is 14 to  15 Gb

we tested on:

1. Access Point intern (Intranet) as custom user Ajax and plugIn

2. Access Point extern (Extranet) as custom user Ajax (plugin did not work for users via Internet, Tunneling Problem)

3. QV Desktop, working remote on the Server directly

4. Access Point from extern via VPN plugin

Results were:

1. for Ajax (intern and extern), we open the document and tried to open some Charts and the browser showed a "lost Connection" to Server message. The RAM usage went in seconds from the normal Level (58.5GB) to over Maximum working set Limit (120 GB), and then become stable at 65 GB. Doing the same with other Chart happened the same and then the document was not responsive (it hanged) and needed to Close. Extern and intern we got the same behaviour . Using QV 11 SR2 this was not the behaviour with the same Settings and IT architecture.

2. for plugin (Intranet) the behaviour of the RAM  was as expected

3. for the qv Desktop, the behaviour of the RAM was as expected

4. Using vpn, the behaviour was as expected for the plugin

Conclusion:

The Ajax Client causes the high Level of RAM consumption. Other smaller documents have the same Problem, but as they are small, there is still enough Memory. RAM usage does not reach the max working set limit

PlugIn works well, unfortunately and because of our Tunneling Problem, it is not working for external users that  Access over Internet and https

We do not know why is this Happening.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are planning to upgrade to 11.2 SR5 but your problems have me concerned.   We are a Plugin user, so I just want to verify that you are not seeing many issues with the Plugin Client.   Thanks!  JS

felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

we solved the Tunneling Problem, so the plugin is working again outside our Intranet.

what we still face is the anormal RAM behavior when using Ajax.  the plugin is faster than the Ajax in the Access Point

felipe

mikkeltaylor
Creator II
Creator II

HI, this also concerns me as we are due to install qv sr5 on our new server next week, and migrating from our old server. Currently on sr3.

we use ajax rather than installing the plugin on users desktops.

sounds like a good idea to hold off sr5 for now.. How was sr4?

felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi,

with SR4 the Performance issues started, but then QlikTech Support said it was a Software Bug and we upgraded to SR5. However, Performance with the Ajax Client is still bad, and the behavior of the RAM usage is not as it shall be.

Cases are opened, but we still need update on them. we got a QlikTech Consultant, but he did not solve the problem either.

I update once this is solved

mikkeltaylor
Creator II
Creator II

Thanks for your reply Felipe.

I think on this basis I will advise that we proceed with SR3 for now on our server until this has been resolved by Qliktech or that I am given assurances that it won't be an issue with our environment.

Look forward to hearing about this being resolved

Michael.

felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

We have solved this issue with Qliktech help.  We reviewed the Installation of QV 11.2 SR5 and all Clients plug in, Ajax , Desktop Client, were working as expected. No RAM highs

QlikTech tested a sample application (approx 1.5 GB) in different QV Versions and RAM and CPU behaved similar

RAM consumption is following a normal trend, based on a facto 6 to 8 (QVW doc size vs RAM Usage)

Felipe