cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

PDF Distribution via Publisher

Hi,

I have a question, I want to distribute a pdf via Publisher, but is a report with data reduction. The users who might receive the mail are about 500 (each one with an special data reduction).

What do I have to keep in mind? is reliable to do this, I mean everyday they are going to have the mail?

Any tutorial for this? any explanation? how should I have the users in the qvw or in the server in order to reduce the data correctly? Do I have to have Section Access or is optional?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
6 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Section Access really doesn't come into play here. You have to do it based on a field in the document. Check out the attached and you can use any field other than Email, if the users are have Email accounts in AD.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

That reduction can be done for 300 users? and how does it affect the performance?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Reduction can be done for any number of values in the chosen field (=end-users).

It will certainly affect performance in a bad way. Your QDS may start monopolizing your disks for extended periods of time. If your publisher is running on the same machine as your QVS/QVWS and distribution occurs during the day (and your server isn't ready for the task), your end-users may experience bad AccessPoint response times. That's why the Publisher is often relocated to a separate machine with an I/O optimized architecture (fast disks).

Do a test with say 25 or 50 distribution targets. It should scale in a linear way up to the intended number of end-users.

Peter

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Not knowning your configuration it would be hard to say. I've seen sites with 5k users doing this. They had to add more memory.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So, just the AccessPoint will be affected? I mean, the emails are going to be delivered correctly at the correct time? with the data reduced?

And for example, I need to send the email to the 300 targets, but they are grouped in lets say 20 groups (that's the field where the data reduction will be made) does it help?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

And what happens if the reduction field has a null value?