Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicolas_martin
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

My "ORDER BY" on a resident table doesn't work

Hello,

I need to get the value before the last in a specific field, in QlikView script.

Here is the code I use:

Data:

LOAD * INLINE [

YearMonth

];

OrderBy:

LOAD

DISTINCT YearMonth AS TMP_date

RESIDENT Data

ORDER BY YearMonth DESC;

LET vValue = peek('TMP_date', 1, 'OrderBy'); // 1 = peek the 2nd value.

This script returns:

2014-01-07_165650.png

and my variable is "201306", whereas it should be "201311".

--> the ORDER BY don't make sense.

Could you explain me why?

I use the following workaround:

OrderBy:

LOAD

DISTINCT YearMonth AS TMP_date

RESIDENT Data

ORDER BY YearMonth ASC;

OrderBy2:

LOAD

DISTINCT TMP_date AS TMP_date2

RESIDENT OrderBy

ORDER BY TMP_date DESC;

LET vValue = peek('TMP_date2', 1, 'OrderBy2');

It works, but it's not "clean".

16 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Henric,

I am just wondering, while QV has a quite efficient implementation for where not exists, why this should potentially not be used also internally for the LOAD DISTINCT mechanism (of course you would need to build something like a composite key of all field values in a record to get distinct records).

I know that the where clause works on the input records, but I believe potentially, the same exists() mechanism could work also on the output table.

This should / could preserve input order (as I think it does in my above sample).

Not sure if I made myself clear or I am missing something here, it's not my day today.

Regards,

Stefan

P.S: And now to something (not) completely different:

The Help says: "distinct is a predicate used if only the first of duplicate records should be loaded."

In the context of our contract, what does first of mean here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

intresting thread !!!

anant

Anonymous
Not applicable

true i have checked it HIC

That means in you can not load Distinct items straight with order by asc/desc

first kiss all records and then kiss good bye either swehul where not exist or some other work around??

but any any it will burden  a qvw once with duplicate records..is i m missing something or something is left to be understood by me.

anant

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Stefan

Yes, a work-around using where not Exists() is certainly feasible. And it would preserve the order. But it might be slower than DISTINCT.

Concerning "first of duplicate records". I am probably responsible for those words in the documentation many years ago... The algorithm for DISTINCT involves re-sorting the values and removing duplicates, and whether it really is the first value that is kept or not, I don't know. And it is really not relevant since the values are identical.

HIC

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You right that you cannot have DISTINCT and ORDER BY in the same Load statement and expect a sorted table.

But, there are many simple work-arounds.

• Use DISTINCT in a first Load statement and the ORDER BY in a second - and the final table will be sorted. Note that if Nicolas had used DISTINCT in the inline Load instead, there would be no problem.
  • Use DISTINCT and ORDER BY in the same Load - and the Symbol table will be sorted (used for "Sort by Load order")
  • Use Where Not Exists() instead of DISTINCT.

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Noted. Thanks HIC !!

ANANT

nicolas_martin
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

QlikView support says that's not a bug (it's a feature ).

In order to be "modified" (not "corrected"), I had to create an idea and wait until there is enought vote so that the developpers think about it:

http://community.qlik.com/ideas/3272