Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

time series charting with 100k+ data

Hi,

I am new to QV and have not gone any training as such. Yet have a small project.

In the project i have to plot data on a time series. the number of records are more than 100k.

First, the problem is that charting object does not render the data, although similar amount of data is charted well in a time series. The chart goes into processing and never comes back.

Second, is there a way i could show the chart at the lowest grain (minute level) in one chart without horizontal scrolling? so that user could see it all at once and could compare the two charts visually.

See attached image to better understand.

Any clue what could be the problem (for the first one) ?

Any suggestion/solution for the second one?

Appreciate your help.

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sibtain

When in QV Desktop, pressing <Ctrl> & T will bring up the Table Viewer, could you share a screenshot of what it shows.  Plus for your dodgy chart could you paste in the expressions and dimension definitions.

Even better if you could post a sample qvw

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply. qvw attached.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sibtain

You say :

First, the problem is that charting object does not render the data, although similar amount of data is charted well in a time series. The chart goes into processing and never comes back.

I cannot replicate this in your qvw, I presume the object you refer to is the Line Chart titled Actual Gas Flow.

Although with your TimeCycle Dimension, when looking by Year there is only one data point so the Line become a dot and is hard to see.  The other cycle fields display lines ok.

Could you clarify.

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Bill,

I had removed that chart since it was causing the problem. Attached is a qvw with that one. please, see the other sheet.

Also, i want to produce chart some thing like attachment (Graph-R).

I have had lot of challenges with dates, so please bear with my qvw, if you see anything stupid.

I have not added the TimeCycle dimension because it caused problem, so keeping the forecasted date. Now, they are coming in numeric !!!

I just cant get the charts in the form that i want to, like Graph-R, and quickly. Charts are taking a lot of time reload, and they get reload very often making things slower. does this happen often in QV when data is of that size?

Sibtain

Not applicable
Author

The middle two charts in Graph-R are my target.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sibtain

Your dodgy object has Dimension field Time from the SOURCEDATA table and an Expression using field Forecasted Flow from the DATAFROMMR table.  These 2 tables are not joined, so the object will be doing a Cartesian Join that is causing the object to take ages to load, plus the data it may eventually return will not be what you want anyway.

A quick way to sort the Object is to use the Dimension ForecastDate instead.

A better idea may be to join the tables in the data model by changing this script line from

DATE(DATE#(REPLACE(REPLACE(forecastedtsvector,'(',NULL()),')',NULL()),'DD/MM/YY hh:mm:ss'),'DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm') as ForecastDate,

to

DATE(DATE#(REPLACE(REPLACE(forecastedtsvector,'(',NULL()),')',NULL()),'DD/MM/YY hh:mm:ss'),'DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm') as Time,

With this change and a reload your original object should be ok with no change to it then needed.

Best Regards,    Bill

Not applicable
Author

Bill,

Thanks a lot, solved the problem.

One, more thing that how do i get the entire chart without having horizontal scroller. like the Graph-R (the middle one)

It difficult to compare the two charts visually at a same time.

Sibtain