Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVS and Web Server on separate boxes

Has anyone had any success in setting up QVS on one box with the web front-end (QVWS and/or IIS) on a separate box? Here's what we're trying to do:

• QVS is on a 64-bit Windows 2003 server.
  • The web server is 32-bit Windows 2003 running IIS 6.
  • We are only interested in deploying pages using the AJAX ZFC.

Has anyone managed to pull off a similar configuration? I'm particularly interested in the answers to the following:

1. What QlikView components were installed on QVS?
  2. What QlikView components were installed on the web server?
  3. Are you using QVWS or IIS or both to publish AJAX pages?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

24 Replies
Not applicable
Author

everytime people connect to accesspoint or just the standard qlikview they must login. At the accesspoint the "logged in as:" was filled with their username. All the document list was appeared on this page but we can't open the document from internet only from intranet the document can be open.

Here a list of error message when I try to open the document from internet/outside.

1. Access to: bi.mydomain.com/qlikview/accesspoint

- Open document with "Internet Explorer Client": Stuck on The windows dialog box appear (Connect to server), i try with "Use NT Identity", "Anonymous" and "Alternate Identity" still can't open the document.

- Open document with "Java Client": error message appeared "Can't connect to server. The server might be down or there may be a firewall that block the connection. Try again?."

2. Access to bi.mydomain.com/qlikview: the same error also as open document with IE client on accesspoint.

3. Access to bi.mydomain.com/qlikview: In here i try to open with AJAZ/ZFC using the default sample. Error message "Failed to open document, you don't have access to the server.

What do you think about that? Do i have to create a tunnel to QVS?

Did you create a tunnel? change the config.xml and also make changes the vars QVStunnel?

Btw, can you ping or telnet the IP address of your QVS from internet/outside?

Update: I just saw the QVS log, it appears the authentication on QVS server is the problem

128 Error Anonymous logon failed: L.

119 Error Failed acquiring token for anonymous access

I can't change the security setting on the QVS, everytime I change to anonymous it won't changes and always back to "prohibited anonymous". Already try to reinstall the QVS but this bug still exist.

I'm using QVS x64 8.5 6231 and running on windows 2003 SP1

boaz_shatz
Contributor II
Contributor II

ihave working configuration as i understated from your description:

1. IIS 6 on w2003 32 bit

2. qvs 8.5 (no matter sub version but it is 8.5.6231)

3. anonymous access to iis website of qvs application

what i have done is:

1. in the qvs i installed qvs and qvajaxzfc support

2. on iis i installed iis support (if you have no firewalls no need for tunneling) and qvajaxzfc support

3. change the file qvsviewclient.asp from var host ='localhost' to var host='my qvs server fqdn' on iis (this tell where the qvs is)

4. verify that on the iis you have the qvscomremote.dll file installed

Not applicable
Author

Yes, this is similar to what we had when we were running QV 8.5. However, QV 9.0 (and above) is a different beast, so a different solution was needed for us.

Your answer might help with Dwi's issue, but I can't verify that one.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Boaz,

i'm not using IIS 6, i'm using IIS 5.1 and since on the web server there's a lot of others website, the network people didn't want to upgrade the IIS.

On what you have done, did you using QV 9? Your configuration step is quite similiar on what i have done also.
I can't use QV 9 because we got stuck on IIS 5.1

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

Did you still using QV 8.5? using the separated IIS and QVS, did you able to open the document from the outside/internet?

Not applicable
Author

Where I am, we've always had IIS 6 - even when we were running QV8.5.

Here are a few comments and thoughts:

• We've never allowed direct access to the QVS from any user's PC. The only traffic to the QVS is from the web server.
  • We also needed to set up a *domain-level* windows account for use by QlikView. This account had Administrator-level access on BOTH the web server and the QVS. Any QlikView services on either box ran under this account. Is that how you are set up?
  • I don't remember how it worked under QV 8.5, but there might need to be some sort of connectivity between your web server and your Windows domain controller in order to authenticate Windows user credentials. (I'm just guessing about that one. We use DMS authentication, so we've rolled our own authentication scheme and don't use Windows authentication.)

Good luck,

Not applicable
Author

I have some questions regarding the best method for authentication setting on IIS for this configurations

- When i'm changing the authentication on IIS then i got an error "object error" when trying to open the qv document list. How to solve this? what is the best authentication configuration both on the Web server machine(IIS) and QV Server machine?

- On my licenses (LEF) there is text " FORCE_AUTHENTICATION;YES; ", so i can't change the security setting on the QVS, it always stick on "prohibited anonymous". So, what is the best authentication configuration for my case?

Is it possible that my issue (cant open document from outside/internet) is happened because of wrong authentication configuration both on IIS and QVS?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your response, maybe for the next step i'll try to use DMS authentication because I never touch this.

Not applicable
Author

Setting up DMS Authentication is not trivial. I think you'll only want to try that after you've exhausted all other possibilities.

I wonder if there's a problem running qvscomremote.dll under your version of Windows/IIS. What version of Windows is the web server running?

It might be worth testing to see if the Windows authentication part is working. You could do that by creating a new website that just has a vanilla "Hello World" HTML page. Then set the site to only allow Integrated Windows Authentication (while disabling anonymous access). Do you have experience with that?

If that works, then you will know that it's not Windows authentication that's causing the problem.

Not applicable
Author

yeah..you were right i'm already exhausted with this, because i dont really understand on network (not yet).

Hmm..i'll try to test qvscomremote. The web server running on windows 2003 SP1 32bit with IIS 5.1