Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVS and Web Server on separate boxes

Has anyone had any success in setting up QVS on one box with the web front-end (QVWS and/or IIS) on a separate box? Here's what we're trying to do:

• QVS is on a 64-bit Windows 2003 server.
  • The web server is 32-bit Windows 2003 running IIS 6.
  • We are only interested in deploying pages using the AJAX ZFC.

Has anyone managed to pull off a similar configuration? I'm particularly interested in the answers to the following:

1. What QlikView components were installed on QVS?
  2. What QlikView components were installed on the web server?
  3. Are you using QVWS or IIS or both to publish AJAX pages?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

24 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Is your QVS also running under 32-bit? I ask because our QVS is 64-bit, and the web server is 32-bit. At one point I made the mistake of copying the qvscommremote from the 64-bit server release and tried to run it on the 32-bit web server. That didn't work so well. I had to download the 32-bit version of QVS to get the right DLL.

I don't know how much control you have over your firewall, but if possible, you could try poking a hole from the internet to your QVS over port 4747 to see if it makes things start to work. You probably don't want to leave it open, but it will show why things work from the inside but not from the outside. Then the trick would be to get tunnelling to work.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I dont have time to test qvcomremote on this day because there's something else i must done first.

My QVS is running on 64bit and i also using the 64bit installer, on 32bit web server i'm using 32bit installer.

On IIS web server 32bit machine I install QVS using 32bit installer, but i didn't activate the QVS. I just make a change on the setting.js to point to QVS Server.

On QVS server 64bit machine I install QVS using 64bit installer, in here I activate the QVS and make a change on config.xml to point to QVS server.

I also already create a tunnelling (based on reference book) but it didnt succeed.

I think tomorrow I'll try all what you already suggested here and i'm gonna start with a fresh installation.

Not applicable
Author

This is the same configuration that I have, and we have been able to get it to work great. Here are a few things that we did to get this to work. Most of the stuff has to be done on the server hosting QVWS or IIS to get it to work.

1. Create an Application Pool in IIS and then assign the QvAJAXZfc virtual directory to this application pool. When setting up the app pool, have it run under an id that is a member of the QlikView Administrators local group on the QVS server.

2. Review the file settings.js in the <QV_Install_Path>\Server\Clients folder. Uncomment the 2 varialbles in this file and place the name of the QVS server and QVS port.

3. Review the file hostlist.js in the <QV_Install_Path>\Server\Clients\QvAJAXZfc folder. Uncomment the variable and place the name of the QVS server in the list.

4. Review the file config.xml in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\QlikTech\QvWebServer folder. Make sure anything that is QvsHost and TunnelHost are pointing to your QVS server

5. We have our firewall setup to where port 4747 is open just between the IIS server and QVS server. This allows you not to have to tunnel.

6. We were able to get tunneling to work, but we had to use the old procedures from version 7.52. I would take a look at those procedures and see if that works for you.

I hope that this helps.

boaz_shatz
Contributor II
Contributor II

Just great I worked wit qvs 10 on windows 2008 r2 one machine iis 6 windows 2003 another machine the hostlist.js file was not installed on any machine but in the config.xml i did your correction in two places that refer to qvs.

of course I have to change the settings.js also

Not applicable
Author

I read the identity of the QLIKVIEW IIS application pool (on the web server) must be a member of QlikView Administrators group (on QVS ),

Does it mean you must a have a common domain for both servers if not how can you do if your servers use only local accounts ?