Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III

PDF Reduction

Hello

every month i have to produce 500 approx sales reports by Business Unit and product.

These are emailed out usually successfully , but pdf file sizes over 150k can fail .

for instance this month , i produced 59 reports successfully before a site with a 26page 150k pdf failed.

does anyone else have a successfull example of mutiple reduced pdf's over 150k?

The error message is :-

04/11/2013 11:35:40.7875995 Error The task "Reduction to PDF and EMAIL BAS Production Margin\AI - ICS Reporting v2.qvw" failed. Exception:

QDSMain.Exceptions.DistributionFailedException: Distribute failed with errors to follow. ---> QDSMain.Exceptions.LogBucketErrorException: Failed to generate QVW File package.. Exception=QDSMain.Exceptions.NoDocumentPackageFoundException: No Document Package found.

at QDSMain.DistributeHelper.GetDocumentPackage(ILogBucket logBucket, IDictionary`2 duplicateList, Document document, eDocumentType documentType, String url, Boolean showToolBar, String reportID, Int32 maxRetries, Int32 currentRetry)

I suspect this is caused by the qvw not closing properly on a larger data set before it tries to re-open ?

I can produce a file if i make the report "physically" smaller - ie in this case i reduced the font size.

However he downside is that the file text is very small.

Has anyone else had this problem.

Any advice gratefully received.

5 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

You can try increasing  the PDF Printer timeout, do the following

• Locate the file settings.ini found in

Windows 2008 - C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikViewBatch
           Windows 2003 - C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikViewBatch

• Add the setting PDFPrintTimeoutInSeconds in the [Settings 7] section

[Settings 7]
PDFPrintTimeoutInSeconds= 120

• Save settings.ini and restart QlikView Distribution Service

You might have to adjust this value to fine the correct value for you.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
philipp_kunz
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi TIm,

it seems that i have the same issue on my Server. My PDF Reoprt tasks sporadically fail without any visible reason.

Could you fix your Problem?

timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello

I found that reducing the pdf file size seems to help.

I changed the font size of the Report from 7 to 5 and this reduced the number of pages from say 20 to 10.

This resulted in less failures, though i still have sporadic ones.

My personal view is that each time a pdf is created , the qvw is opened and closed.

When it fails with large pdf's i think it is something to do with the qvw not closing before opening the next one.

Hope this helps

philipp_kunz
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Tim,

thanks for your Suggestion. It is worth a try, since it does not fix the Problem on its basis.

timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello

I found that reducing the pdf file size seems to help.

I changed the font size of the Report from 7 to 5 and this reduced the number of pages from say 20 to 10.

This resulted in less failures, though i still have sporadic ones.

My personal view is that each time a pdf is created , the qvw is opened and closed.

When it fails with large pdf's i think it is something to do with the qvw not closing before opening the next one.

Hope this helps

Another thing to try is to run pdf creaton over a "reduced" data set as the smaller the source qvw is the better the pdf generator seems to work - i've generated nearly 2000 pdf's today - one app generated 1384 pdfs