Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can I organize dimensions in ad-hoc reporting

We have implemented ad-hoc reporting where the user gets to pick from a list of dimensions and metrics. We are going to expand our usage and want to give the user a TON of dimensions (40+) to choose from but this is aesthetically unpleasant and difficult to use if we just put them in a big scroll box.

Has anyone ever 'grouped' dimensions in order to create a better user experience? For example if we have 40 dimensions that are part of 4 groups, just those 4 groups would show, and the user would 'expand' one of those groups and pick one or two dimensions from group one, then expand group 2 and choose one from group two, etc. etc.

I haven't been able to find anything like this in any of the QV demos so hoping someone has given it a try. Thanks!

-Mitch

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Above is a sample App.

hence the reason it's not sorted correctly!!

View solution in original post

11 Replies
rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Hi,

you can create a Hierarchy of Dimensions, like Parent and Child, it can be done

Regards

Alan

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

would you like to send on the groups and the dimensions and I will mock up the code to suit?

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Hi Mitch,

See below example, let me know if this helps

2014-02-07_2119.png

Use the above as a guide and you will be fine

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Mitch,

With the above code, here is how my app looks with that Hierarchy

Is this what you need

2014-02-07_2135.png

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Above is a sample App.

hence the reason it's not sorted correctly!!

Not applicable
Author

Alan, this sir, is perfect. You da man! Thanks!

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Glad to help Mitch

Regards

Alan

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I have also implemented one Ad-hoc report.But there is one issue like, there are almost more than 40-45 dimensions.

User can dynamically select it. But if the user selects more dimensions than the report size then it automatically increases the table size.I dont wants to increase the table size.

Is there any solution for this.

Thanks in Advance..!!!!

Not applicable
Author

Limit your Pick Dimension field by adding calculation condition with certain value. Use GetSelectedCount([Pick Dimension(s)]) function to find number of values selected in a field.

Hope this helps!