Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arish_delon
Creator
Creator

QlikView Server Best practices

Hi All, I am new to QlikView. I am trying search the following... did not find much details...

QlikView Server has following components:

1. QlikView Server

2. Reload/Distribution Engine

3. Management Console

4. Web server

I Have 2 Physical Servers load with memory. 1 Server License, 1 Publisher Licence. Bunch of Name CALS and Bunch of Doc CALS.

I want the developers access to 1 Server and Production to access 1 Server.

Developers                                Production

QlikView Server                         QlikView Web portal (IIS)

Reload/Distribution Engine          Developed Solutions (Application)

Management Console

QlikView Desktop

Is this the best way to setup the Server environment? If not what is the best way to set it up? and why?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
arish_delon
Creator
Creator
Author

Peter, I am following suggestion to Keep the developer away from Production Service.

Thanks you.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Arish

I would split as follows :

Production Server:          All the Live Production items

QlikView Server                      

QlikView Web portal (IIS)

Reload/Distribution Engine      

Developed Solutions (Application)

Management Console

Development Server     Purely Dev stuff

QlikView Desktop

RDP configured for the Developers to connect in via an RDP client

Best Regards,     Bill

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

I would agree with Bill. Unless you have a clustered license to distribute from different server, I would recommend having Publisher on the same machine. You can save time while distributing across network using UNC. There will be latency in distribution while doing it across the network.

Good luck!

Cheers,

DV

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Keep your developers away from any production service. A single developer testing cartesian product-technology may knock down your complete QlikView set-up (because in your original architecture QVS is running on the same machine)

I did this more than once, and it was ... fun...

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Peter

I absolutely agree with your comment Keep your developers away from any production service. A single developer testing cartesian product-technology....................

I have not, whilst developing, done an accidental dodgy cartesian join yet this year.... but it is only 3rd Jan and I am sure I will do one before the end of the year.

On our Dev Server I have an alert script [vbs] that sends a warning email if more than 80% of the RAM is used, and every time I get the email somebody has done an accidental dodgy cartesian join.

Best Regards,     Bill

arish_delon
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank You for your feedback. Sorry for not replying sooner.

arish_delon
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks You Bill for your suggestion. I need to explore your suggestion. Sorry for not getting back sooner.

arish_delon
Creator
Creator
Author

Peter, I am following suggestion to Keep the developer away from Production Service.

Thanks you.

arish_delon
Creator
Creator
Author

Don't we all do this...the 1st time.