Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Upgrade from SBE to EE - How tricky?

Hello!

We're just about to upgrade from Small Business Edition to Enterprise Edition.

Couldn't find and guidance here or elsewhere on the web for the upgrade.

Does anyone have any experience? Is is easy?

Cheers!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Mike,

That upgrade doesn't have any required setup other than going to the QlikView Enterprise Management Console, System, Licenses, QlikView Server, Server License, and click the button "Update License from Server" and "Apply". You should be prompted to restart the server and a green "Success" just above the button, and see your LEF updated with the new information.

If your license number is different, then instead click first on the "Clear License" button, then enter the serial and the control number for the new one, then click "Apply". You will be prompted and so.

And that's all.

Upgrading license is not upgrading versions, that indeed does some work to do beforehand.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Mike,

That upgrade doesn't have any required setup other than going to the QlikView Enterprise Management Console, System, Licenses, QlikView Server, Server License, and click the button "Update License from Server" and "Apply". You should be prompted to restart the server and a green "Success" just above the button, and see your LEF updated with the new information.

If your license number is different, then instead click first on the "Clear License" button, then enter the serial and the control number for the new one, then click "Apply". You will be prompted and so.

And that's all.

Upgrading license is not upgrading versions, that indeed does some work to do beforehand.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

Not applicable
Author

Hi mikefardell,

Upgrading is not an issue in Qlikview,

Steps:

1. Clear the license information.

2. Take the back up of system folder, which is in c:\Program Data\...

3. Do the upgradation.

4. Better to do restart of the server.

5. Restart the qlikview services.

I hope these steps will help you to do successfully for upgradation.

Regards,

Ravi.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks very much Miguel and Ravi...

I will follow your instructions and add any additional feedback for future upgraders!

Much appreciated! Mike

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Mike,

The only thing that can sometimes be a problem is if your QlikView server can not communicate directly with the QlikTech server that verifies licence keys.  If this happens the new licence will not be applied and you will be left with the old SBS licence.

In this instance you will need to request a LEF file from QlikTech.  You should be able to request one of these via your QlikTech partner company - or in the UK you can request one from orderuk@qlik.com , you just need to send your licence key and ask for a 'LEF' (Licence Enabling File).

You will be sent a text file that you can copy and paste over the top of the old LEF key on the Licencing tab.  When you copy and paste you need to be very careful that you don't include any spurious spaces or line feeds - these can be introduced via email software in transit.

Hopefuly you should be able to verify the key directly without having to do this - but it is worth being aware of what to do if it doesn't work first time.

- Steve

Not applicable
Author

Hi Steve

Not that I think he'll need it but Mike has the LEF file, courtesy of his fantastic QlikTech partner company...!

Kind regards,

Marek

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

just for the records; I've upgraded today my Qlikview Server 11.2SR2 from SBE to EE changing license with the instructions from Ravi and I've lost ALL my existing CAL assignments and I was forced to recreate them manually (thank me I've kept records of them).

Not really painless, uh?

Fabio

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Fabio,

I would see this happening if you CAL type changed.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

But Miguel and Ravie wrote that there will be nothing to do after a license type change from SBE to EE, so why that happened? I can't find any documentation about that behaviour...

Regards

Fabio

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Bill - I would assume that a SBE Doc CAL would map to a EE Doc CAL and SBE Full CAL would map to a EE Full CAL?  This would then make the upgrade smooth.

Was it perhaps that the old licence was cleared before the new one was applied - rather than just swapping one directly for the other?