Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Losing colour in chart when I add a second expression

I have a 2 dimensional combo chart in Qlikview. First dimension is department, second is financial year.

I have an expression to show number of hours worked by department members, this is represented as a grouped bar on the combo chart, so for each dept, we get a coloured bar for each financial year, as expected.

before.PNG

However, when I add in a second expression for a symbol on the chart, the bars all change to blue. this is rather confusing as it no longer matches the colour coding on other charts. This new expression uses AGGR to calculate a single average for each Dimension 1 value (department) rather than doing a separte value for each combination of dept and financial year.

After.PNG

Can anyone suggest a way to keep the colours of Dimension 2 on the first expression when I add this second expression?

Many thanks

Steve

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

I have resolved this.

I ended up using a solution along the lines of that suggested by Martin, but using GetFieldSelections rather than Fieldindex.

=Color (((index(GetFieldSelections(Calendar.NexusYear, ',' , 14), Calendar.NexusYear ) -1) /8) +1)

Here, if I have 3 financial years selected (which don't need to be in sequence, The GetFieldSelections function will give me a string like "2008/09,2011/12,2012/13". I then use index to find the position of the financial year I need the colour for and use the remaining addition, subtraction and division to convert the position (1, 9, 17 etc.) to a colour index (1, 2, 3 etc.)

If you're using this, please be aware that if no years are selected, GetFieldSelections returns an empty string. I will need to test GetSelectedCount to check this and if so, use the string "2007/08,2008/09,2009/10......" etc.

Thanks to Nuno, Martin and Nitha, who all planted seeds that allowed me to reach this highly satisfactory solution.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

have you already tried going to Properties and in the Color tab check Multicolored?

Kind regards,

Nuno

Not applicable
Author

Hi Nuno, thanks for rewsponding.

The Multicoloured box is greyed out, and doesn’t respond when I click on it.

Steve

martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

add

color(FieldIndex('Dim',Dim))

as the background colour of all of your formulas

while Dim is the dimension of your chart.

The only effect ist in the formula legend

Maybe the values are unfortunately, but I used them in another case.

Not applicable
Author

Then I would set an expression on the "background color" (you can find it when you expand the plus icon on your first expression).

It should be something like this (depending on the years you have):

=if(Financial_Year='2014', color(1), if(Financial_Year='2013', color(2),color(3)))

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Nuno

Not applicable
Author

This is very helpful,, I've used the following expression to get, in this instance, the desired result:

=if ( Calendar.NexusYear ='2013/14', color(1), if(Calendar.NexusYear='2012/13', color(2),color(3)))

This works fine when we have the last 3 financial years selected, but this won't always be the case. However, I'm sure I can define a variable to do the rest of the work or use this in conjuction with Martin's suggestion to get the result I'm after

Many thanks

Steve

Not applicable
Author

Yes, Martin's suggestion is more progressive.

Glad I could help!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Martin, i had a good response from Nuno which has given me a reasonable solution. Your answer seems to have the potential to get the problem sorted without very complex expressions, but I haven't quite got the syntax cracked......

=Color(FieldIndex('Dim',1))  always seems to colour all the bars black, as does =Color(FieldIndex('Dim',Calendar.NexusYear))

Can you provide any extra suggestions on this?

Many thanks

Steve

martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

fieldindex returns the position value by loading.

this number is used as the color number from the colour tab.

the formula uses the field Dim (without '', = actual Dim in this line) and compares it with 'Dim' (with '', = the column in the table)

hope this helps

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Stephen,

Please try below code in Background color of expression in:

pick(match(Financial_Year, '2013', '2014'),green(), red())

Hope this helps

Nitha