Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

is there a way to warn that a user is already connected to AccessPoint

Hi all,

we are using QlikView 11 Small Business Edition on a basic configuration with the standard web server.and active directory authentication.

In our windows workgroup we have set up a "guest" user for our visitors to access some business applications, including QlikView.

visitor 1 connects with guest account and logs to AccessPoint, then opens a QV application. Fine.

visitor 2 connects from another PC with same guest account and logs to AccessPoint. Fine. He opens the same QV application and starts navigation : no problem but visitor 1 gets disconnected and gets the "Connection lost" message, reconnects, which disconnects visitor 2 etc...

What we are looking for is a way to prevent this by warning beforehand that the user "guest" is already in use on AccessPoint. Has anyone done that ?

We have started to tweak the login form to add some javascript that would scan the QV log file to check if a document is opened by user guest, but we face some access right issues to open the file and could not solve it as the web server is not documented.

thanks

Philippe

6 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

What you are doing is not support in the version you are using (need session CALS). To do this correctly each user that is logging in to the system with have to have there own username and password.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill thank you for your answer.

Yes we are considering upgrading to the enterprise server and using session CALs as you recommend but I unfortunately I won't get the budget this year. I was hoping in the meantime to find a kind of workaround, if anyone in the community has implemented it ...

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Starting with QV10SR2 IIRC, QlikTech implemented the 2 MAC-address policy which dictates that a QlikView document can be accessed with the same User Account from a maximum of two MAC-addresses. Probably to get rid of those "generic" accounts as it has been a rule from the beginning that 1 person equals 1 CAL.

This is what you are experiencing. There is no workaround.

Peter

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think the 2 MAC address policy only applies to license leasing. I believe what Philippe is seeing is the restriction that a Named CAL may only be used from one machine at a time.

If you're ok with writing a bit of code, you could write a program that uses the QMS API to list the current sessions and see if the userid is in session. That program could front end the launch of Access Point.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Rob thank you it's exactly what we are trying to do, write a bunch of code reading the session log. Thanks for the pointer to QMS API, I will have a look at it !

Philippe-

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

It wouldn't be the session logs you would be looking at. These are written much later in the process. You would have to use the API to see the real time information like the QMC does.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.