Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using Brackets to Define Precedence in Set Analysis

I am trying to get a distinct count of people belonging to group X and Y but not Z. People can belong to multiple groups and the data structure is such that there are two columns and people can have multiple records, e.g:

Name     Group

A               X

A               Y

A                Z

B               Y

C               X

C               Y

So in this example the result should be equal to 1, since only C satisfies the condition.

However, I am not sure how to specify the order such that QlikView calculates it as ((A and B) but not C) rather than (A and (B but not C))

To get A and B I use:

count(

{$

<Name = P({$<Group = {'Y'}>})>

* <Name = P({$<Group = {'X'}>})>

}

DISTINCT Name

)

And adding the not C should be:

count(

{$

* <Name = P({$<Group = {'X'}>})>

- <Name = P({$<Group = {'Z'}>})>

}

DISTINCT Name

)

In this case the precedence appears to work out the terms in the order I want, and the qlikview help on set analysis suggests that this would be the case as intersections are evaluated before exclusions. However, as a general rule I would like to be able to use brackets to be certain, and for more complex cases which go against the default precedence. Yet if I wrap the first two terms in brackets it does not evaluate at all:

count(

{$

( * <Name = P({$<Group = {'X'}>})>

- <Name = P({$<Group = {'Z'}>})>)

}

DISTINCT Name

)

How can I get this working? The set analysis help states that normal brackets should work, but in the examples it uses this inside a single term, and does not work for what I want to do.

Edit: Added specific example

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Very interesting, I hadn't actually wanted the brackets around the latter terms, but your suggestion did produce a valid result in its own right.

But in some cases I would need to use the brackets on the first terms so was wondering how to do this. I tested further and it seems that QlikView doesn't like a bracket right at the start of the sequence. So I tested by adding a dummy term at the start which always evaluates as true, then intersected this with the the remainder of the terms which I enclosed in brackets in the order I had wanted.

Specifically I used:

count(

{$  <Name = >

((<Name = P({$<Group = {'Y'}>})>

* <Name = P({$<Group = {'X'}>})>)

}

DISTINCT Name

)

The blue text is the dummy term, green is the outer brackets used to enclose the remainder and red is the inner brackets which I originally wanted.

I'll test on a more complex dataset to see if the logic works in all cases, but this does appear to be what I needed. Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Probably, correcting the parenthesis would work. Try like:

count(

{$

* (<Name = P({$<Group = {'X'}>})>

}

DISTINCT Name

)

Not applicable
Author

Very interesting, I hadn't actually wanted the brackets around the latter terms, but your suggestion did produce a valid result in its own right.

But in some cases I would need to use the brackets on the first terms so was wondering how to do this. I tested further and it seems that QlikView doesn't like a bracket right at the start of the sequence. So I tested by adding a dummy term at the start which always evaluates as true, then intersected this with the the remainder of the terms which I enclosed in brackets in the order I had wanted.

Specifically I used:

count(

{$  <Name = >

((<Name = P({$<Group = {'Y'}>})>

* <Name = P({$<Group = {'X'}>})>)

}

DISTINCT Name

)

The blue text is the dummy term, green is the outer brackets used to enclose the remainder and red is the inner brackets which I originally wanted.

I'll test on a more complex dataset to see if the logic works in all cases, but this does appear to be what I needed. Thanks for the help.