Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settings.ini on QV Server got corrupted

File Settings.ini got corrupted, the first line looked like this:
[Se[WindowPos]

The rest of the file was fine, there're sections [Authentication] and [Settings 7].
Fixing wasn't a problem.  I'm wondering what could be the reason of the corruption, so we can avoid it in future.  Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Michael

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mls
Former Employee
Former Employee

yes I would guess it is more the result than the cause. I have seen other cases when other files have had garbage written to them while the services where struggling with resource shortage or crashing for other reasons.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mls
Former Employee
Former Employee

I have never seen this but possibly something like this could happen if there was a crash of the QVS or resource shortage on the machine.

Start by looking through the QVS logs to see if there has been any restart lately. The first column of the QVS event log shows the "Server Started" time and can be used to see if there was an unexpected restart/crash somewhere. If so, I would look closer at the events leading up to that situation, like resource usage, error messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Magnus,

Yes, there were crashes around that time.  What you're saying that the corruption of the ini file is the result of the crash rather than its cause.  That works for me, because there were "good" reasons for QVS to crash.

mls
Former Employee
Former Employee

yes I would guess it is more the result than the cause. I have seen other cases when other files have had garbage written to them while the services where struggling with resource shortage or crashing for other reasons.