Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradcusick
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hide Dimension value in chart

Hello,

I'm trying to hide 'non-selected' dimension values in a bar chart.  The idea is to only show the name of the dimension value that is selected but continue to show the expression for all values....  Here is my chart:

QVChart1.png

The dimension is 'base address'.  I have a set expression which counts based on the 'base address'.  This keeps the chart static regardless of base address selection (this is desired).  What I am trying to do is blind all other dimension values when I select a particular base address from the list box, say '5211 w 103rd St'.  for example:

QVchart2.png

This allows the viewer to see where a particular dimension value stands in a blinded comparison to others.  Any ideas? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

And hopefully the last follow-up here...

1. Removing dimension label pushes the text on axis out the are too.  Keep the label, make it white (Font tab, Color)

2. If use a separate expression for Label, it could be even simpler than that.  The expression itself just

[base address]

And, add color attribute to it, the same I had earlier for dimension:

=if(match(concat(distinct [base address],','), [base address]), black(), white())

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brad,

Here is a idea.

1. To keep all bars when address is selected, and set, that is if your expression is
sum(Amount)
change it to
sum({<[base address]=>} Amount)

2. To hide non-selected values, use text color attribute expression for the base address dimension:
=if(match(concat(distinct [base address],','), [base address]), black(), white())
So, the non-selected will be white on white, hence invisible.

Regards,
Michael

Not applicable

Hi Michael, I thought the text colour expression for dimensions only worked in straight tables or pivot tables, no?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right.

I tried in a table and didn't bother to check in bar chart.  So #2 part of my idea should be replaced with something else...

Anonymous
Not applicable

i thought the same too...in a bar chart, i couldn't get that to work.

a possible workaround for the OP's requirement, is making the label and bar stand out more for the selected base address while still showing all the values.kind of like the example attached.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this is reliable, although not exactly the OP's request.

Not applicable

I think I found a way, if you disable the "Show Legend" selection for the dimension and then change the expression to

=Dual(if(match(concat(distinct [base address],','), [base address]), [base address],''), sum(value))

Then on the expression tab make sure Values on Data Points is selected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grace, almost there...  The problem here that the values on the data point will be the same as on axis, which is not good.

So, the should be two expression.  The first one is Label:

if(match(concat(distinct [base address],','), [base address]), [base address],'')

Display options - none, i.e. "bar" is unchecked.  Check "Text on Axis".  Number property - expression default.

Second expressions is  sum(value) - bars, value on data point, number is number.

There could be nuances to address, but in general should work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And hopefully the last follow-up here...

1. Removing dimension label pushes the text on axis out the are too.  Keep the label, make it white (Font tab, Color)

2. If use a separate expression for Label, it could be even simpler than that.  The expression itself just

[base address]

And, add color attribute to it, the same I had earlier for dimension:

bradcusick
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Awesome work everyone!  You nailed it Michael.  I flipped the 'text on axis' and 'value on data points' for the expressions because the base address offsets when on the axis and ends up somewhere between two bars making it a bit confusing visually.  Here is the result.  The chart displays all base address values but only displays the name of the base address that is selected.  So, I have a blinded comparison and a visual ranking.

QVChart3.png