Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Trellis chart - split the caption also

Hi,

is there any easy and elegant way, when for a given chart you activate the "Trellis" option so that you have 2 or 4 separate charts,

to split the caption according to the same criteria?

<=> The only way I can think of - I have done this before - is to deactivate the caption altogether and generate so many individual free_text_boxes instead - but that is pretty time-consuming and it looks okay, but not optimal..

=> Is there no easier way?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

It seems you mean 'legend' not caption.

You can't split legend. Try to use separate charts with a grid-mode container.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

By default you'll see the values of trellis dimension as captions.

If you want to modify the text, try calculated dimension with aggr().

=aggr([expression to get caption], [trellis dimention])

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi whiteline,

yes, I know. The values of the trellis_dimension is written above the chart_area as a caption.

=> That is okay, but it's not what I meant:

<=> If I have two expressions to display in each of my charts - four in total - I'll see all four in one compact block that cannot be separated on the right-hand side of it all. It's that block that I'd like to split in two (for my two Trellis_charts).

As I said, I've done that by deactivating the automatic caption and instead creating so many free_text_boxes, but as those are a bit tricky to move around and the text is necessarily inside, not beside a coloured area (as it is in the automatic caption), it is not quite perfect. (otherwise, I'd need double the nr. of free_text_boxes and I'd have twice the trouble in aligning them properly for I can't even use the cursor_keys to do that, only the mouse...

Best regards,

DataNibbler

whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

It seems you mean 'legend' not caption.

You can't split legend. Try to use separate charts with a grid-mode container.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi whiteline,

that answers my question.

Yes, I did mean the 'legend'.Unfortunately, in that instance, the chart was already in a container, so I can't use another on - well, I think someone wrote here that there is some way, but that's not what I wanted to do.

So I cannot split that - which means, I guess, that my free_text_box approach is about as good as any.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Not applicable

Hi DataNibbler,

is there any easy and elegant way, when for a given chart you activate the "Trellis" option so that you have 2 or 4 separate charts,

to split the caption according to the same criteria?

<=> The only way I can think of - I have done this before - is to deactivate the caption altogether and generate so many individual free_text_boxes instead - but that is pretty time-consuming and it looks okay, but not optimal..

=> Is there no easier way?

PFA For ur Problem Solution.

Best regards,

Damu

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi DamuChowdary,

unfortunately my answer to that is very short - there is no easier way that I know of ...

The only thing to simplify this pretty annoying process of moving free_text_boxes around is to set the zoom to 200% or so, that way it's easier to see whether they are properly aligned.

Best regards,

DataNibbler