Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Edition License - "What are the Rules?"

Using QlikView 11 Personal Edition, I am trying to build a demonstration prototype involving multiple [8] disparate source files.  As a rookie, I am finding stuff out as I go along and cannot get it all done without adjusting keys, fields, and other "source-related" information.  Hence, I have been incrementally trying to add new sources and establishing linkages as the concepts become clearer.  As the process requires me to add/maintain the Script, I consequently have had to "re-load" the Script several times.  This seems to work just fine when only or two one data sources are involved. 

What I cannot seem to clarify are the "Rules" around the re-load function.  After developing a script two days ago that worked just fine, I went back to it and tried to "add" a new data source.  I am now getting the Script Error Message regarding the two previous and existing data sources as follows:

Cannot open file 'E:\ABCSourceData\ClaimDetRecords' The system cannot find the file specified.

followed by:

Cannot open file 'E:\ABCSourceData\ClaimHdrRecords' The system cannot find the file specified.

So it seems, that my incremental approach to prototype development is "doomed" inasmuch as I cannot seem to add new data sources without getting the messages as displayed above.  What I would like to know is the following:

1. Does the message "Cannot open file ................etc.  The system cannot find the file specified" have anything to do with the number of reloads allowed in the Personal Edition?  If it does, then the error message is highly misleading.  What it should say is something to the effect that "Reload threshold has been reached".
  2. If I am developing the entire prototype on a single PC with all QlikView work resident on that single PC, are their any limitations regarding the number of times the developing script can be reloaded?  If this is the case, what are my alternatives if any?
  3. Or, is there some fundamental issue that I am missing as a rookie?  Surely anyone needing to convince anyone else of the merits of the ClikView product, can appreciate that a prototype of at least some complexity and time-to-build will be involved.

I am very impressed with the product so far but need to demo it beyond a simple script.  I would really appreciate any feedback that the Community can provide.

Thanks very much

8 Replies
maxgro
MVP
MVP

don't think there is a limited number of reloads

see here for more detailed info

Personal Edition FAQs

does the file exists? ClaimDetRecords, without any extension?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi David,

The only restriction on the personal addition is in sharing the files. If you are getting the script error it is because there is an issue with the script. Can you post the load for that part od the script

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Colin-Albert

Can you browse the folder E:\ABCSourceData and an you see the file there?

Are the file names correct including extensions?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Massimo:

Thanks for your comments.  I did rename the source files for some reason but had of course 'forgotten'.  But strangely enough, when I changed the Script to match the 'changed' source file names, I am still getting the same message.  If it helps at all, the input source files were comma-delimited but I had not changed the extension to a .csv when I had originally created and saved the files.  Is it considered good form to have the .csv extension as opposed to just leaving the original .txt implied?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill:

Thanks for your comments.  I did rename the source files for some reason but had of course 'forgotten'.  But strangely enough, when I changed the Script to match the 'changed' source file names, I am still getting the same message.  If it helps at all, the input source files were comma-delimited but I had not changed the extension to a .csv when I had originally created and saved the files.  Is it considered good form to have the .csv extension as opposed to just leaving the original .txt implied?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Colin:

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi David,

If you are using CVS file try tab delimited.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Colin-Albert

Your load script for a csv file should have details of any labels, the delimiter and other parameters, such as the example below

MyData:

load * from csv_file.csv

(txt, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);