Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Need to change Expression dynamically based on a value in the dimension(not selection)

Hi Everyone,

I actually have a very basic issue. I have a chart in which I am using 2 fields i.e Time (Monthly,YTD) and KPI (Sales, Target), coming from isolated Inline Tables as dimensions for labeling purpose only. As shown in the table below. Based on the Values of these fields, I need to changes the Expression Label.

MonthlyMonthlyMonthlyMonthlyYTDYTDYTDYTD
SalesSalesTargetTargetSalesSalesTargetTarget

So, I am keeping only one expression and using 'If else' statement, putting 4 logic inside it. However I am not able to achieve the same thing for Labels.

If you see the above table for YTD, labels are only years i.e. 2012 & 2013.

Would appreciate the help and suggestions.

Thanks,

Neelam

9 Replies
whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

Could you describe what you're trying to achieve ?

sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

Use the same logic to describe the label too.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Please refer to the table which I have drawn below. So for monthly the captions are perfectly fine. But if you see YTD, the Captions should be 2011, 2012 i.e only Year.

I  have 3 expressions in this chart in which I am putting If Else logic using two fields Time(First row) and KPI(Second Row) to get the respective formula.

These 2 fields are actually coming from isolated inline tables.

I tried using the same If Else logic to get the values in Captions also, but its working in the captions(Strange)

Untitled.jpgI hope it helps.

Thanks

Neelam

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Unfortunately, the same logic is not working in Captions

Thanks,

Neelam

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Neelam,

Try to share a sample qvw here with small dummy data.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tresesco,

How are you? Long time!! Please ping your number over FB, will call you sometime.

PFA the sample QV file.

Thanks,

Neelam

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Hi,

I suppose, the label is expected to be one for an expression (which is fair). When you pull that expression to column in a pivot chart it appears to be mutiple columns while the internal representation is same - an expression. So, it doesn't actually take the dimension values into consideration in this label expression; hence it doesn't recognize them. I have tried an alternative (in the script), see if this helps. PFA.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tresesco,

Thanks for the suggestion, however it wont work in my scenario as the values will keep changing based on the selection. May be an alternate solution would be to create several columns which may not look visually good.

Thanks,

Neelam

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Hi,

I guess, with proper structuring of _Time, _Metric2 and Exp fields in the script could take you to goal. And that would respond to your selection dynamically as well. But that's again tweaking your entire model.