cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcmcderm
Partner - Contributor III

How to enable users to upload QVW files to server

I have a couple of power users who develop front-end QVW applications.  They need to somehow upload their applications to our server so regular end users can view them from AccessPoint.  The issue is the power users are external to our organization so I can't just give them free reign to our server via Remote Desktop Connection or anything like that.  I'm wondering if anybody else has a similar situation and how you addressed it?  The only idea I had would be to setup an FTP system where these users could transfer files between their computers and the QV documents directory on the server.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
6 Replies
Not applicable

I have not had personal experience with this type of scenario, but to my knowledge the FTP scenario I might be your best bet. I don't think that there is any integrated method for doing this.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi David,

The FTP would work, but you will have to move it and set it up in the QMC for reloads and distribution.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
dcmcderm
Author

What do you mean by "move it"?  My thought was I could give the users access to our UserDocs directory, and they could just copy files there when needed.  They would just be updating existing QVWs, not creating new ones.  All these files are scheduled for hourly reload, so if they uploaded a new version, it would be reloaded within the hour.

There are risks with this approach obviously - if they overwrote something by accident and lost the correct production version, or if they changed something that broke the reload process, or if they DID upload a new file and expect it to just work, which it wouldn't until I setup user permissions and reload schedule.  Just thinking through the options...

Colin-Albert

One other gotcha to watch for...

If a new file is uploaded whilst a reload is running, on completion of the reload the "new" file will be overwritten with the previous version plus the new data.

If updating hourly avoid updating files at the time when the reload runs.

Also ensure that any links to external data files or QVD files use the same path or a UNC path so they are valid when the app is located on the server.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

David,

The reason I said move the document is because of security. If you allow them to have access to the Source Document folder, they can remove documents you may not want they to have.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable

Hi David,

As an administrator I wouldn´t do that in order to get everything with best practices, unless the user are aware of the QlikView architecture and know how to handle that.

My advice, users should have an administrator designated to handle their requests and to take care the enviroment.

Best regards