Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_duffy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Using Input Fields - Is there a better way

Hello All.

We have several requests from our business to create charts with 'checkboxes' to allow selection of multiple rows in a chart and eventually create summary charts to be used in a write back process.

Currently, we are using input fields to accomplish the 'checkbox'.  The issue is that we are processing millions of rows of data and input fields are not meant when processing large datasets.  The application size increases significally and the performance decreases significantly with each input field added.

I have attached a sample application to demonstate the process.  Keep in mind, this is a very simple example that works fine with input fields.

Step 1: Change the Select input field from zero to 1 on any of the 3 'detail reports'.

Step 2: The Cases displayed are based on the selections in Step 1.  As in Step 1, change zeros to 1 to further refine the Cases.

Step 3:  The final summary of Cases is displayed.  Select all values in the Case column.  Use the Add User Name and Date Table Box to enter the User Name and Date.  This will create our final summary of Cases and user information to be used in the write back process.

Is there a better, more efficient way to achieve this process?  Can this be done without using input fields?

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John.

6 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The usual way is to let users make selections in objects like listboxes and multiboxes. You can change the style to a checkbox style so it becomes easier to (de)select individual values without clearing the other selected values. Selecting all values in a field can be done by right clicking the listbox and choosing Select Possible. It's also possible to let users create bookmarks. Bookmarks can be defined to be applied on top of the active selection or to replace the active selection entirely.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
john_duffy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Gysbert.

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions.

I agree with your statements regarding the usual way to make selections.  I use these techniques (listbox with checkbox style, multibox, bookmarks, etc.) in most of my apps.

These requests we are getting from the business are different in that the users want the charts to remain unchanged (ie. not drilled down to selections), select rows based on the values in numous expressions and continue scrolling through the chart to make more selections.

Thanks,

John.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps you can use alternate states to that effect. See this example: Transfering the Intersection of Selections Using Alternate States

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable

What exactly mean write back process?

john_duffy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thanks again Gysbert.

I watched the video.  Very interesting.  I would need to set a max number of selections allowed in order to create the different alternate states.

I'll give this a try.

John.

john_duffy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Dariusz.

The write back would be pushing the data from QlikView to another application.  Not really a part of the issue.  The issue is really how to get that final summary table built.

Thanks,

John.