Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Does SAP connector is a must when loading data from SAP sitting on SQL?

As caption title

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ming Sung,

Please elaborate. I am finding it hard to understand what message your trying to convey here.

What do you actually mean by the way?

Are you trying to connect to SAP BW directly to extract data?

Are you trying to connect to SAP data which lies in a SQL server?

Best Regards,

R

Not applicable
Author

Ho Ram,

I mean sap data lies in Sql server.  I try to pitch those SAP customer for using Qlikview.  but you know it is quite an investment even for SAP connector license,  I just wondering whether could loading the data without sap connector,  and would it cause a lot of trouble when defining the data model.

ming

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ming

You can create a connection using OLE-DB provider but it will be only a database connection and not application connection (you will not be able to extract SAP queries, reports only extract Tables w/o metadata )

Thanks

Yaniv

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ming,

No, you wouldn't need SAP connector to do so. You can just use a OLE-DB/ODBC connection to the DB. There are ways to work around it, just like Yaniv said below you can only have a database connection and not an application connection.

If it is BW your worried about, you the Analysis Process Designer to extract the data into .csv files and then pump it into a QlikView Report.

Regards,

R

Not applicable
Author

here is the info you need on the SAP connector for QV.

You can connect to SAP using ODBC . but the connector has its own benefits

Not applicable
Author

These are some reasons why you should use the connector.

ODBC driver will not give you access to all the SAP tables, like pool and cluster.

SAP admins frown upon  access to the SAP instance via ODBC drivers, but it's ok  with a certified tool like the SAP connector.

Also, there might be license restrictions when using SAP data outside SAP sanctioned methods, which SAP connector is.

Also, I attached the latest slides for the connector.