cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Lease a license - test environment

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to lease a license.

I am going to work in a test environment (I don't know if that changes something but I prefer to mention it).

In the console management, I'm "Named CAL".

The name of my Qlikview server license is : QVS@ildeh1qvbak01

Then I open up Qlikview, I click on "Open in Server" and enter qvp://ildeh1qvbak01

Then I don't have any error message, I have the screen (attached file).

But it's still written that I'm using the personnal edition !!

What's the problem ? Why am I not using the license ?

Thank you for your help

24 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Peter. It's bit clearer.

Okay, I read again what you said, I can't lease a license with the test server.

"The best thing you can do is copy the license assignments from MachineP to MachineT (or vice versa) for all users/developers that need to visit/manage both machines."

Can you explain, please ?  Do you mean the allocations of the CALs ?

Sorry if my questions are stupid but I discovered QV Server a few days ago

Thank you again for your help

Not applicable
Author

Is Qlikview test server is something which is not part of Qlikview server ?

Do I have to pay for it ?

Thanks for your help

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Laura,

QlikView Test Server is a way to license for QlikView Server that you can purchase separately. A Test Server is always and only possible if you have a production (non-Test) Small Business Server or Enterprise Edition and it replicates the same environment.

An example: you have a Enterprise Edition Server with two nodes to create a QlikView cluster and allow 100 named users, and a Test license corresponding to that environment. The Test license will allow to have two nodes  in a different environment as well and the same 100 named users. So if you need a license to develop, that should come from the non-Test environment.

Miguel

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

What means is that, say, your user is DOMAIN\LAURA and you have a license in MachineP. Then you can use the same license to access and develop on MachineT.

And vice versa: if you do not have a license assigned to user DOMAIN\LAURA in MachineP you will not be able to access and develop on MachineT.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

When you say I have a license in MAchineP, you mean I am Named CAL and I'm able to lease a license when I'm on this server ?

And so, to use this licence on MachineT, I should do exactly the same process, same things in the address textbos to lease the license ?

Thanks again

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Yes,

When I say a license assigned in MachineP is that you have a license assigned to that DOMAIN\LAURA (or whatever your actual username is) you will be able to access to MachineT.

But, the Server that leases the actual license is MachineP, so you need access to it, apart from having a license assigned to the user.

The process is always:

1. The QlikView Sysadmin assigns you a license in MachineP
  2. You use Desktop > Open in Server to MachineP to get your license
  3. You now have a lease for 30 days
  4. You can now open any document, regardless the Server it is

Miguel

P.S.: This document has all relevant information on how license lease works.

QlikView License Leasing Technical Brief Paper.pdf

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Miguel

The problem I have is that I want to open my documents when i'm on MAchineT without accessing to MAchineP  because there is no links between the 2 machines.

I have had a look at the licences in the management console. When I go to the management console from MachineT:

There is this line which is not in the licence of MAchine P   : TEST_EDITION;YES;;

What does that mean ?

Moreover, the 2 machines have 2 different numeros of licences.

Im sorry if this is a bit confusing, I'm a very very beginner

thanks again

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

You are welcome,

Short answer: you cannot open documents on MachineT unless you have a license borrowed from MachineP. You need to have a license assigned to your user in MachineP and you need access to MachineP to get that license.

The TEST_EDITION keyword means that is a Test license type, that is all what we have been talking above (i.e.: you cannot borrow licenses from a test server). And yes, the license numbers are different, but in our systems, they are linked (you issue a test license for a non-test/production license).

I strongly recommend that you check with your Partner Manager (if you are a Qlik Partner) or Account Manager (if you are a Qlik Customer) so they can explain in detail  the licensing model of QlikView.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Ok thank you a lot Miguel

I cannot access MachineP from MachineT so I guess a I need a licence for MachineT ?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

That's correct.

You need either a local license that will allow you to work with your laptop with any other QlikView file or that any other server (yours if you are a partner) leases you a license.

Miguel