Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to use our current data limitation with Qlikview Server ?

Hello,

We have a central Oracle Database that uses a a VPD (virtual private database) for limiting data perimeter associated to a user (NT user).

We created a small QV application but we experience a security issue, because we don't know how to limit the data perimeter, except by creating a specific duplicate for each user !

How can we use the current data limitation with Qlikview server 9 ?

Is QVS the right tools to use in that case ?

Thanks in advance,

Olivier

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

You have to use the "Section Access" table, something similar to VPD but on QV data cloud.
Check QV Server manual about data partialization, bye.

corrado

Not applicable
Author

hello Corrado,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried the section access, but that means that I need to create a special section access for each user ?

Am I right or wrong ?

The main issue that we have is that I cannot load the full DB into QV (too much memory) and then make the limitation. I'm not too sure that I clearly understand this section access !!!

Happy New Year,

Olivier

Not applicable
Author

The section access will limit user access to data based on their user name (NT or QV).

Therefore if the number of data to reload is limited section access will not help you.

You should limit the data ou load by where statement in your SQL or you can use the FIRST feature in your loading statement ( First will allow you to load only x first records).

I hope this will help you.

Rgds,

Sébastien

Not applicable
Author

Hi Olivier,

About 'section access for each user': you'll have to add a record to your section access table for each user; what I usually do in such cases is load the list of users from a database with users (e.g. from Active Directory or from PeopleSoft HR) - user data can be loaded using any valid LOAD statement, you're not required to specifically use a 'LOAD INLINE'.

About the 'too much memory' issue: is the resulting QVW file itself too big to fit into the memory, or does your QV Server run out of memory during the reload? In the second case you could use 'incremental load' (search the forums for some explanations / demos); in this case you first load older data from a QVD file (which is less memory-intensive), and then only load data from the database which is newer than the data in the QVD file. For this approach you must have some way of querying the database for only data that is newer than the QVD file (e.g. only transactions with transaction date > QVD file date).

Regards,
(and a happy new year to you too),

Martijn ter Schegget
CND Development

Not applicable
Author

Hello, and Best Wishes for 2010

The big problem is the amount of data.

First, with Qlikview Client, we created a button with a data limitation based of the SQL WhereClause. This works very well.

Then, now, we would like to use QVS, and we have no idea on the best way to make it. Here starts our problems !!!

We suppose we have to get rid off the button with the SQL WhereClause, and make the server do the job with "Section Access".

Is that clear ?

Do you have any advice ?

Thanks,

Olivier

Not applicable
Author

Check QVS 9 manual page 247 for an example of section access, bye.