Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Graphing multiple Expressions for multiple selections on a Dimension.

Is there a way to chart multiple expression that share the same dimensions for multiple selections without resorting to overlay charts?  For example my dimensions are SYS_DATE and SYSTEM with an Expression of (AVG_DAILY_BUSY).   With one expression I can select 1 or multiple SYSTEMs and each will get its own line on the chart.  With the addition of a second expression (MAX_HOURLY_BUSY) when I select a System it charts both expressions for the SYSTEM dimension, but one can no longer chart multiple systems, in fact selecting multiple systems now results in a blank chart.

With one expression:
qv1.PNG.png

With two expressions one dimesion selected:

qv2.PNG.png

With two expresions multiple dimensions selected:

qv2b.PNG.png

What I really want is to be able to select one to multiple Systems and chart both expressions for all selected.  I know I can do this with overlays, but thinking there is a much more elegant solution here?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Lewis,

i hope you like it

Let me know if it is what you are looking for.

regards

Darek

View solution in original post

14 Replies
MarcoWedel

can you please share the qvw?

Not applicable
Author

Maybe trellis chart?

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Not using line chart, because it does not stack.

Another point is that a graph with more than 7 or 8 lines can be very messy and hard to understand

Not applicable
Author

Here is what my graph looks like in EXCEL, this is what I wish to duplicate with my QV Dashboard:

EXELVer1.PNG.png

As you can see the expression are such that the groupings will alway be seperate and quite clear.  Seems there should be a simple way to do this in QV...    I'm actually graphing three Expression in this example.

Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

Have you tried to associate in the Axis tab (chart properties) - the appropriate expressions with the Primary or Secondary axis (i.e. left and right axes)?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Greg, You did teach me something new as I was unaware of this feature , but it doesn't solve my problem.  Setting the primary expression position to left and secondary expression position to right on the Axes Tab resulted in seperate scales for each, but did not enable graphing of multiple selected dimension for each expression.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

A possible workaround...

Instead of having two dimensions, please use only one calculated, concatenating dimensions.

Example:

=Dimension1 & Dimension2

Not applicable
Author

Hi Clever, not sure I understand what you are proposing here.  My Dimensions currently are SYSDATE and SYSTEM and myExpressions are AVE_DAILY_BUSY MAX_HOURLY_BUSY.

qvCP1.PNG.pngqvCP2.PNG.png

Concatinating my Dimensions results in a graph like this, which accumulates the values for the SYSTEM Dimension rather than graphing each SYSTEM as a seperate line:

qv5.PNG.png

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Sorry my fault, I was wondering 3 dimensions + 1 expression..

You have 2 + 2