Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vishnus85
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

How to automate the process of assigning Named/User licenses to the dashboards ?

Hi,

I am a novice at qlikview admin side though I was developing dashboards for a couple pf years now.

So if I sound silly, kindly excuse me. I need expert guidance.

In our organization, we initially had just a couple of dashboards and users less than 50 in count. Things were fine with managing the licenses and user access to various dashboards. But as time pass by we are deploying more and more newer dashboards and the user base would be hitting 400 very soon. The problem we face now due to the increase in number of dashboards and users is the maintenance and assignment of CALs (both named as well as document).

Almost all users access dashboards through access point and does not have qlikview client installed in their machines.

We started getting frequent requests to add/remove the access multiple users to/from multiple dashboards. We do this manually now and is very time consuming.

The process we currently follow to give access to a user to a new dashboard is like,

- check if the user already has a named cal allocated

if YES, add him to the distribution list of the new dashboard task to give him access.

if NO, then add 1 to the number of document cals to this new dashboard and then add him to the distribution list of the new dashboard task to give him access.

So now if a request comes to add 5 users to 5 dashboards, we have to do this process one user at a time and thus 25 times.

We want to know if there is any way to make this access assignment/removal process easier than doing it this way. Something like we maintain in a file, the list of users and their access to various dashboards and each day a batch process runs reading from this file and refreshing the access of users to the dashboards as per defined in this list. In such a scenario we just need to maintain the user-dashboard list accurately and would save our time doing manual assignment.

Or any other way we could make the process simpler, because I believe that there should be a way to make the license maintenance easier as in large user groups its not practical to do the assignments manually, one at a time. Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Vishnu S

3 Replies
SunilChauhan
Champion
Champion

assigned some nomber in Cal like 20,30,40 any number you want and

check allow dynamic cal.

it will allow to login to users who have access to it

Sunil Chauhan
Not applicable

Hi,

As Sunil mentioned you could try the Dynamic CAL assigment option.

First you would have to enable it on the

System -> Licenses -> Client Access Licenses  and tick Allow Dynamic CAL assignment.

Then you enable the same option but per document. Documents -> user documents

Also you would need to specify how many CALs can be assigned to this document.

When different CAL types are combined on the same server, the order of priority in the CAL assignment is done as follows:

1.If there is a dedicated Named User CAL for the connecting client, it is used.

2.If there is a dedicated Document CAL for the connecting client, it is used.

3.If a new Named User CAL can be assigned to the connecting client, it is used.

4.If a new Document CAL can be assigned to the connecting client, it is used.

5.If there is an available Session CAL, it is used.

6.If there is an available Usage CAL, it is used.

7.If none of the above, access is denied.

(taken from QlikView Server Reference Guide p.84)

Though you have to be careful if you have named licenses, you generally want named licenses to be assigned manually.

Cheers,

Paul

poppypearce
Creator
Creator

Hi Sunil,

I have similar issue where when i distribute dashboard using "All Authenticated Users" option i am able to see dashboard in the access point, but when i use "Named User" Option and select any user to distribute dashboard, i am not able to see the dashboard in the access point, what could be the issue ??

Please suggest...