Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james
Creator III
Creator III

How to make IE access point Doc open in New Window

Good afternoon, In our 8.5 environment, once we have published a doc using publisher, the IE document automatically opens up in a new window, which is perfect.

In 9.0, the same link opens up in the same window, does anyone know if you can change this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

James,

To do this, you just need to modify a couple lines in one of the files:

1. Open C:\Program Files\QlikView\Web\QvAccessPoint.js in Notepad
  2. To modify the drop-down list of clients:
    1. If you want to have different settings for each client:
      1. Plugin: Replace line 43 (plugin.target = target;) with: plugin.target = "_blank";
      2. Java: Replace line 49 (java.target = target;) with: java.target = "_blank";
      3. AJAX: Replace line 55 (ajax.target = target;) with: ajax.target = "_blank";
    2. Otherwise, if you want all clients to open in a new window: Replace line 77 (var target = self.target;) with: var target = "_blank";
  3. To modify the thumbnails: Replace line 148 (var target = node.getAttribute("target");) with: var target = "_blank";
  4. Save and close the file

View solution in original post

21 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

James,

To do this, you just need to modify a couple lines in one of the files:

1. Open C:\Program Files\QlikView\Web\QvAccessPoint.js in Notepad
  2. To modify the drop-down list of clients:
    1. If you want to have different settings for each client:
      1. Plugin: Replace line 43 (plugin.target = target;) with: plugin.target = "_blank";
      2. Java: Replace line 49 (java.target = target;) with: java.target = "_blank";
      3. AJAX: Replace line 55 (ajax.target = target;) with: ajax.target = "_blank";
    2. Otherwise, if you want all clients to open in a new window: Replace line 77 (var target = self.target;) with: var target = "_blank";
  3. To modify the thumbnails: Replace line 148 (var target = node.getAttribute("target");) with: var target = "_blank";
  4. Save and close the file
james
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Vlad, Thanks for that, it works perfect, but only if users select "Open With". Any way to force it into a new window if they click the thumbnail?

Thanks in advance

James

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Step #3 will take care of the thumbnails

james
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I guess I should have read past #2 🙂

Thanks!!!!

Not applicable

Is there any way to open the document in a new tab instead of a new window?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, it's a user setting how to handle opening windows (New window or in tab) which is probably good since people have different preference in this matter.

Most newer browsers can be set to open links that target a new page in a new tab though so if a user wants to open everything in tabs they should be able to do so.

For IE7 this is set under:

1. Open IE7
2. Click Tools
3. Click Internet Options
4. Click Settings
5. Select Always open pop-ups in new tab
6. Click OK until you are back in your browser

colinh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Vlad, I've tried out your solution and it doesn't do quite what I was looking for. In QV 8.5, if you clicked on the small green page icon to open a document in a new window, the document opened in a window that had no browser toolbar or menubar. This was quite useful because it removed unneccesary things like the Back button and the address bar that the user could click on, and also gave me quite a bit more screen space to work with.

I've tried (with my zero knowledge of javascript) to add plugin.toolbar = no and plugin.menubar = no (and 0) to the plugin section of the script, but they make no difference.

Do you know of any way to remove the toolbar and menubar from the new window?

Thanks.

james
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I was looking for the same thing, the new window with just QlikView....

I hope someone has a fix 🙂

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Colin,

This is a more complicated solution:

1. Open QvAccessPoint.js.
  2. Add the following function somewhere at the top of the file:

3. function OpenLink(object) {
    window.open(object.name,'mywindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=yes,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,copyhistory=yes, resizable=yes');
    }

4. In the function UpdateClientsLinks, replace Line 41 (plugin.href = can_use_plugin ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Plugin") : "#";) with: plugin.name = can_use_plugin ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Plugin") : "#";
  5. Replace Line 48 (java.href = can_use_java ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Java") : "#";) with: java.name = can_use_java ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Java") : "#";
  6. Replace Line 55 (ajax.href = can_use_ajax ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Ajax") : "#";) with: ajax.name = can_use_ajax ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Ajax") : "#";
  7. Replace Line 62 (download.href = can_download ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Download") : "#";) with: download.name = can_download ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Download") : "#";
  8. In the function Qva.Mgr.aplist.prototype.Paint_Thumbnails, replace Line 200 (x.innerHTML = '<a href="#"></a>';) with: x.innerHTML = '<a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)"></a>';
  9. Replace Line 203 (x.href = CreateOpenDocUrl(id, pref_client);) with: x.name = CreateOpenDocUrl(id, pref_client);
  10. Comment out or delete Line 204 (x.target = target;)
  11. Save & close the file. Open index.htm from the same folder
  12. Replace the table starting on Line 78 with the following table:

13. <table width="100%">
    <tr><td>
    <span id="Menu_OpenWith">Open with</span>:
    <ul>
    <li><a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)" id="Menu_Client_Plugin">IE Plugin</a></li>
    <li><a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)" id="Menu_Client_Java">Java</a></li>
    <li><a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)" id="Menu_Client_Ajax">AJAX zero footprint</a></li>
    </ul>
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td><a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)" id="Menu_Download">Download</a></td></tr>
    <tr><td><a href="#" id="Menu_Favorite">Add to favorites</a></td></tr>
    </table>

14. Save and close the file and restart your web server.

That should do the trick--all links will open in a new window, and that window won't contain any toolbars, address bars, scrollbars, or menu bars.

Regards,