Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

UK based dedicated hardware provider - recommendation?

Hi All,

We have a severly underperforming server and are looking to replace this with a dedicated server via a host.  Does anyone have a recommendation specifically for Qlikview deployments?  Ideally I'd like to work with someone who understands the requirements of Qlikview and can deliver that quickly.

Cheers,

GPC

16 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Gareth,

In most cases virtual environments are fine.  I've seen some very large implementations on virtual boxes.  Where they can suffer is when memory is shared across boxes if QlikView tries to grab a lot of memory very quickly the virtual box may not hand it over quick enough - this can occasionally lead to issues.  The cost saving and easy of setting up and backing up virtual servers can make them a very attractive proposition though.

Steve

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Jason do you have a link? I cannot find QlikView in the AWS marketplace.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I’m afraid not – I last looked a while ago.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks everyone.  So is there a difference in the following configurations?

4 slot server holding only 2 CPUs (very high spec)

vs

2 slot server holding 2 CPUs (very high spec)

vs

4 slot server holding 4 CPUs (very high spec)

Cheers

Not applicable
Author

Hello HVP,

I am looking into an alternative server.  These are the specs, I've been told that the CPUs are pretty high spec, can you confirm that this server would be good for a large QView deployment ?

- Dell R810 PowerEdge

- 4 x Xeon E7-4870 (2.6GHz)

- 4 x 128GB SSD HDD (memory based drives)

- 128GB RAM (capacity for 768GB)

What are your thoughts on the 4 processors?  Should I only be looking at 2 CPU boxes?  I have been assured that NUMA would be disabled in the BIOS on build.

Are there any questions I need to ask based on these specs?

Cheers

Not applicable
Author

Gareth,

QlikView currently Partners with AWS and Rackspace.

Both have Data Centers in UK and can help you.

Putting QlikView in the cloud is supported by Qlik as well as partners.

The requirements you need are size of app, pefromance requiements, number of users.

Please contact me if you need AWS or Rackspace resources dedicated to Qlik to contact you.

Thanks,

John

hps
Employee
Employee

Hi Gareth,

When talking about servers it is most important to talk about chipset architecture.

Well performing for QlikView and Intel are E7-48xx and E5-26xx.

If the chipsets above are used then the following would apply:

4 slot with 4 CPUs > 4 slot with 2 CPUs

2 slot with 2 CPUs > 4 slot with 2 CPUs

E7-48xx (4 CPUs) versus E5-26xx (2 CPUs) depends usage pattern and applications, but generally the E7 can have more users/apps while E5 is slightly faster.

I'd like to reiterate that this is a discussion better suited with representatives directly and

statements above are general guidance based on architectural layouts and performance tests of Intel chipsets.

Regards,

Hampus von Post