Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hectorgarcia
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Do you know how successful are your QV applications you publish in the server?

This is a question that is looping in my mind lately.

How my users are using the applications I published for them..., what is the most used object , what object is not being used.

Object usage by user, etc.

If i should have the answer for this questions I could optimize my designs and the performance of my applications A LOT.

I already logged an enhancement to have this kind of statiscs to do some BI analisys to my designs.

I encourage you to do it too.

8 Replies
Not applicable

would you be so gently to post here your technique?
thank you

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Take a look at QvServerPerformance.qvw which was included with 8.5. The file analyzes logs. There is a dimensional group (that needs to be reconfigured) called Object. Once you reconfigure it to work with 9, you can use this dimension to analyze objects over time, objects per user, etc.

hectorgarcia
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thanks Vlad I am using that application you mentioned and I would like to know how to implement the changes in order to have the statistics at object level , we are having several requirements for the security and compliance area about it so it is really important to implement it.

I will appreciate your help

hgarcia@todo1.com

hectorgarcia
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

forgot to mention we are running 8.5

hectorgarcia
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

vladd this is my current script , what changes do i have to do to log usage at object level?

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Hector,

Here's how I would do it. There's another file that's included with the 8.5 training materials called QlikView Optimizer (attached in case you don't have the materials). Optimizer will analyze a specific file's memory outputs and provide you will all sorts of useful dimensions relating to objects. You could use Optimizer in conjunction with QvServerPerformance to analyze performance for object. Create a new QVW that will contain the same script as you have now for QvServerPerformance as well as the script from Optimizer. There is a field in the Optimizer script called QvwFile--make sure you rename it to documentname (that is what the name field is called in QvServerPerformance). When you're done, you may want to drop a few fields to avoid synthetic keys, but I'm sure you can figure that out when you take a look at the script. Then just create some objects and take a look at your statistics. By the way, instead of creating a new QVW, you can choose to make a copy of QvServerPerformance and just modify the script to include the Optimizer script--that way you'll be able to keep the dimensional groups that exist in that file instead of having to recreate them.

Good luck,

hectorgarcia
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Tyhanks Vladd I'm also using that file but I do not see the connection with this two files and the purpose of my original question.

what I need to know is to identify at object level, usability of the objects by session by user a document accessed through the server.

With the webserver performance app, you will be able to know usability of the QVW document,(at document level), usability frequency by user and other stats at document level.

With the optimizer application you are able to evaluate statistics at object level but :

1) There is no data about what user is using the object.
2)You have manually to create the mem files (remember that the application is in the server so there is no way to create mem files automatically, as far as I know)

Any comments?

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Hector,

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your original question. You are correct about the limitations of using the 2 files together. Unfortunately, there is probably no better alternative other than creating new OCX interfaces to create custom logs and then evaluating the logs in a new QVW. If you want to use existing tools, then probably Optimizer and QvServerPerformance together are about as close as you can get...