Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to insert QV objects into powerpoint ?

Hello everyone,

I would like to copy some objects from a QV application into a powerpoint and then that these objects are updated each time the application is refreshed.

I've heard about the QV OCX component ?

i want to export qlikview report to powerpoint

What is that ? Do I have to install it or is it already installed (and so I will be able to follow the steps in the post) ?  (I haven't installed powerpoint yet on my server so I cannot check if that works)

Thank you for your help !

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Yoann,

In the end, I have made a macro to export an image of the objects I wanted, to powerpoint..

View solution in original post

16 Replies
ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi

If you have named user cal.

Then you can copy your chart object from Qlik and paste in PPT.

About auto refresh feature I don't think its possible. I'm not sure.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The OCX component is available on every client platform that has either the QV Desktop or the IE Plugin installed.

As Ashfaq says, showing a QV object in a powerpoint only works on those platforms and for those users that have a Named CAL (or a local license). If you send this ppt to someone outside the reach of your QVS or someone who cannot lease a license or someone without access to your local document (if you don't copy/paste from a server document), it won't work.

IMHO QV objects in MS Office documents are live objects, i.e. they always show the current situation. They act like objects in a report: the framework is pasted into your document, but the data is transfered from a live object. Usually the update is only performed when you (re)open the MS Office document. I haven't found a method yet to update a QV object immediately (some sort of Refresh button)

The connection works for both objects pasted from server documents (via IE-plugin) and for objects pasted from a local document (QV Desktop).

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your answer.

Have you tried to set a planified task to open the powerpoint and close it ? So the powerpoint get refreshed ?

As for the QV objects in the powerpoint, it's a problem to me because tu goal was to send the powerpoint to people who dont have qlikview... Is there a way to delete the link with the qlikview and instead of having a QV object, we'll then have a picture of it ?  Or the other solution would be to print the powerpoint into a pdf, I guess ?

Thanks again and have a good day

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No I haven't tried that one. I was looking for a more user-friendly F9-like action (MS Word) that forces fields to refresh themselves.

QV Objects are ... QV Objects. To view/manipulate/change/refresh them, you need a user license.

But you don't have to take it that far. In QV Desktop, you can copy an image of every object into the clipboard and paste it into whatever application you want. You can even copy an image of a complete sheet. No license needed for those documents. But then you loose the automatic update-feature.

Another method that may be doable: let the QV reload save object images to fixed files. Then open a template powerpoint that updates those screenshots, and then eliminates the live image links by converting them into imported images. Save under a different name, and you're ready for global distribution. Some VBA programming will be necessary.

Good luck,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Yes Peter, I was thinking of something like the second method your talking about.

To have a powerpoint with the qv objects and to have another one with only the images.

Another question, how can I (even manually) convert the object into image ? Does it work like when you copy an excel charts with link and then when you want to break the link, you go to file > change the links to file  and then delete them ?

Or do I have to do a screenshot (which would be very complicated to automatise in vba ... 😕 ) ?

I am still waiting for the IT of my company to install powerpoint so I can try all those things...

Thank you

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I finally have powerpoint installed !  So I can do Insert > Object > OCX  Control

and this what I get.

Sans titre.png

But I still don't know how to insert a qlikview object...

What do I have to do ?

Thanks again for your help

Not applicable
Author

Hi Laura,

in your qvw  click on the object to copy (Ctrl C) and stick it into ppt.

You must see the image

To make it dynamic turn on diaporama

Don't forget to copy as well a list box to alllow selections

best regards

chris

Not applicable
Author

Hi Chris,

I did that but I don't see any image...

I try to copy > Image : it works (this is not what i want)

copy > values : it works (not what I want)

copy > object : I paste it in the OCX control and the shape of the OCX control just becomes Orange but I can't see any image...

Can I ask you if it's possible to print the powerpoint as a pdf when there are QV objects in it ?

Thank you

Not applicable
Author

Yes you can

are you sure you have the proper licence installed on your PC ?

just tried, copy and paste without problem

Chris