Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Store Inputfield table data to QVD with button macro

Hi,

Have created a simple Inputfield and button to store the table to qvd model to test a concept (attached), but am unclear on some aspects.

1. What is a good way of saving model user input obtained using the "Inputfield" function for all users (I understand from the docs that inputfield input values are defined per user login and I actually want a global input field for all users)? I'll explain my approach so far below:

I was thinking I'd use Inputfield to obtain the user data, then store the Inputfield and its primary keys to a QVD file and then load that QVD as input to another model later. However, I ran into trouble when trying to store just those fields, so ended up with trying to "export" the table instead.

The data is meant to be an original value and then an updated value obtained through Inputfield, and then for later calculations / what if analyis etc I was thinking of using the Inputfield value if its >0 (i.e. it exists) otherwise use the original value.

I know I can right click and -> export the table, but our users probably wont get that right consistently, so I wanted to do this the same way every time using a button via a macro.

However, the macro code I located here works http://community.qlik.com/message/114143#114143 but only when I click on "test" in the macro editor and not when I click on the button. Also I need to add more functionaliity to the macro:

Our users select certain fields and "lock" those fields and may forget to unlock them which means that even if the button store to qvd worked it wouldnt necessarily be saving the entire table.

2. How can I save the full table (actually I'd prefer to store only the primary keys and Inputfield if possible and not all fields) even if user selections are in force. Alternatively how can I unlock all locked fields and also clear all selections in a the macro before storing the table to QVD?

Am running QVx64 11.2

3. I'm using a button macro to export the Table to a QVD. I have enabled system access and drive e:\ is a valid path. This script as I said works (a correct QVD file is created) when I click on the "test" button in "Edit module" but clicking on the "save input" button in the model doesnt work.

sub SaveTableToFile

set obj = ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("CH01")

obj.ExportEx "e:\CH1inputs.qvd", 4

end sub

Thanks

Cheers

7 Replies
whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

There is no global inputfield values.

2. How can I save the full table (actually I'd prefer to store only the primary keys and Inputfield if possible and not all fields) even if user selections are in force. Alternatively how can I unlock all locked fields and also clear all selections in a the macro before storing the table to QVD?

You could create a hidden chart for export purposes with expressions that display values regardless of user selections (using set analysis).

Have you assigned the external action for that button to run a macro SaveTableToFile ?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Whiteline,

Thanks for your feedback,

Great idea on set analysis - I've only ever used it to filter fields but you have a point I could use it to select all as well. Hidden table ... that could be useful idea too to reduce screen clutter, and using it I could just have a table with only the key fields I want.

As for external action I think I did what you describe but maybe I left out a step because its not working 100%.

I did this.

1. Created a new button object. Then for the button properties did this:

2. Under tab-actions chose the "Run Macro" as action and "StoreCH1TableToQVD" as macro name.

3. Under edit module entered the ffg code:

sub SaveTableToFile

end sub

Checked VBscript and allow system access under both security options.

Everything else left as default.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I guess it's not relevant anymore, but "StoreCH1TableToQVD" must be the name of the sub that's being called:

sub StoreCH1TableToQVD

end sub

Maybe someone will still profit from this answer.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

as to "Alternatively how can I unlock all locked fields and also clear all selections in a the macro before storing the table to QVD?":

ActiveDocument.ClearAll false 'deletes the filter

ActiveDocument.back 'resets the filter

The frontend-user won't even realise that the filter has been removed for a moment unless the exported table is very large.

whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

The best  way is to use a separate alternative state for export table (object).

Otherwise, you could use macro to clear and unlock, there are some simple examples in APIGuide.qvw.

Unfortunately, the user will definetly realise what you've done when clicks 'back'.

Not applicable
Author

Yeah...  This works... But could you please tell me if this macro works on the webview?

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

if you mean by webview the "Full Browser Version", actually I don't think that macros work at all on this setting (at least, most commands do not), I just got them to work with the "Internet Explorer Plugin". But there it works just fine, when the settings for macro execution in the QVW-file are right and the settings on the user's computer.

By the way, what "whiteline" writes sounds like a pretty good idea to me.