Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

OMIT fields in SA

Hi,

I have been trying to do this for some time before my involuntary holiday. Now I'm at it again:

- In one of my apps (personell), there are currently no names visible - for the simple reason that I can only have the names in none of my apps or in all, and the latter is to be avoided.

Now, however, I'd like to introduce names - but with OMIT option in the Section_access so that the names are loaded into the DataModel in the first place for a very restricted group of people only.

In principle, that is no problem: You just use three fields instead of two in the section_access:

- ACCESS (USER or ADMIN)

- NTNAME (in this instance, >> domain\firstname.lastname <<)

- OMIT (name of the field that should not be loaded for this user)

=> Thus, every user gets several lines in the underlying Excel_list (where I list all the entries for the SA) - one per field, at least two
      (first_name, last_name)

<=> For some reason, it does not work: I just tried introducing two of those OMIT_fields for myself - still with ADMIN access - and I checked the spelling of the field_names several times. It is the same everywhere - and I can view the fields from the Section_access, I can view my logon and see that those two fields are listed as OMIT fields - still I can see those names.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

18 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Could you post your sample qvw with sample data?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi tresesco,

I was afraid we'd get to this point 😉

Yes, I could - it would be a bit time-consuming, but let's see.

I just got a hint that the reason might be capitalization: Up to now, I've written the field_names to be omitted from the DataModel just as they are written elsewhere in the script, but not all_in_caps, but "normal" - first letter capitalized, the remainder small.

I just changed it to all_caps by using the > as < option - that seems to have worked.

I'll check once more, however.

Colin-Albert

Make sure the field names you are using for OMIT are in capitals, and force the data in that field to uppercase.

The three golden rules of section access.

Rule 1 UPPERCASE;

Rule 2 UPPERCASE;

Rule 3 UPPERCASE

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Colin and tresesco,

that seems to have been what was going wrong all the time.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I just made one more test of this Section_access - and something seems to be wrong:

- I have the name fields several times under different names as I said

- One set for instance is labeled "VORNAME1" and "NACHNAME1" (all in uppercase)

- Another one is labeled "VORNAME5" and "NACHNAME5"

Now, I have tested whether I can successfully introduce these as OMIT fields for myself, in the inline_table I use for the Section_access (the first part of it).

That seems to work for the set with the #1 - but not for the other one.

Can someone help me out here once more? I can't spot any difference - it is all in uppercase, I've checked several times.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: Could it be that the numbers confuse QlikView somehow? I'll try with text_suffixes now.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

now I attach a qvw and an xls file with some fake personell data to illustrate how it is supposed to work - and doesn't.

There are two users set up in this qvw:

- One has the username "superuser" and the password "seeall" and should see all fields

- The other one has the name "regular", password "seeparts" and he should actually see only the personell_number, but not the name_fields.

Thanks a lot once more!

Best regards,

DataNibblerj

P.S.: Just thinking, there's one thing I haven't tried - maybe those OMIT_fields just don't work for users with ADMIN access?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

It seems that it is also a difference whether you use the combination of USERID and PASSWORD or NTNAME as a means to identify the user.

- And then, the NTNAME is a bit tricky, I cannot simply write it in uppercase as it is in lowercase in the system, so it won't be recognized, will it?

I'm quite confused about this right now. I won't continue on this until tomorrow.

It would be great, however, if someone could come up with another idea about what might be the problem.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Veeery strange ...

I have just opened that sample app I created yesterday to try out whether maybe that OMIT stuff works only with USERID and PASSWORD, not with NTNAME - and guess what I found:

In the script, the Section_Access was written with NTNAME, no PASSWORD - still I was prompted for USERID and PASSWORD !?

=> Does QlikView somehow remember the setting for SA?

Colin-Albert

NTNAME does not need a password it is checking that the currently logged in user is allowed access to the document. the user is already logged in hence no password is needed.

If you are using NTNAME in section access and the current user is not listed as having permissions to access the document in the section access table, QlikView will then show the username & password prompt to allow the user to enter a QlikView username and password to access the document - this is not the user's windows login.

If you are being prompted for a username and password, then your NTNAME is not recognised.

You can add a textbox using OSUSER() to see how QlikView identified your login name - perhaps the domain is missing.