Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using if condition in an expression

Hi, I am new to Qlikview and when I try to use the if statement, it keeps bringing the value zero. Can anyone help with the below please.

I need the expression to count Organisation names (ignoring duplicates) where the AUM is greater than zero. This is what I wrote in the expression -

= if(new_currentaum>=0, count(distinct [Organisation Name]), 0)

Thanks

Jalps

10 Replies
MayilVahanan

Hi

Try like this

count({<new_currentaum =  {">=0"}>}distinct [Organisation Name])

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Not applicable
Author

try:

= count(distinct if(new_currentaum>=0, [Organisation Name]))

Not applicable
Author

That works! So I dont need to use if statement in Qlikview it seems. Thanks very much

MayilVahanan

Hi

You can use if statement, but set analysis produces the result faster

Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Not applicable
Author

Jalpa,

in your case set analysis proposed by Mayil Vahanan Ramasamy is better

Of course there are also cases, where if is useful ....

regards

Darek

Not applicable
Author

Thanks again. Is it also possible to use set analysis or if statement on another expression rather than a dimension? For example, in the above condition I was trying to put the condition that if AUM is greater than zero then count Organisation Name. However, I now have an expression which subtotals the AUM. Can I use that expression in the if statement?

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Your expression cannot be evaluated properly. The reason is that you have a field reference that isn't aggregated.

= if(new_currentaum>=0, count(distinct [Organisation Name]), 0)

QlikView evaluates this expression once for every dimensional value, so if there are several new_currentaum possible, this field reference will return NULL (It is evaluated as Only(new_currentaum)).

If you want it to be evaluated once per dimensional value, you should use an aggregation function, e.g. Max():

=if(Max(new_currentaum)>=0, count(distinct [Organisation Name]), 0)

But if you want it to be evaluated once per record of raw data, you should put the If() inside the aggregation function, just as Dariusz Mielczarek suggests:

=count(distinct if(new_currentaum>=0, [Organisation Name]))

Set analysis is a third way to do it. It is like making a selection - but just for this expression. Then you should do what Mayil Vahanan Ramasamy suggests:

=count({<new_currentaum =  {">=0"}>}distinct [Organisation Name])

But Set Analysis is not like a condition: So you cannot toggle between different expressions.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Hic. I see your point and used the max function but I still get the same issue - it counts the organisation where currentaum = 0.

MayilVahanan

Hi

Try like this

count({<new_currentaum =  {">0"}>}distinct [Organisation Name])