Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Recommendations for QlikView developers' PC configuration

Hi all,

My company has just installed QlikView and is beginning a high-visibility development project. We intend to run our production environment on a 64-bit server and provide individual PCs for each developer. I'm seeking suggested configurations for developers' PC.

For example, 32 bit or 64 bit CPU?

Intel or AMD?

A particular CPU?

Memory? 2GB, 4GB, 6 GB or more?

Monitor size?

Multiple Monitors?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Tow

Sr. Database Developer

Regis Corporation

Edina, MN

7 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Hi, Rob. The short answer is: the more the better. 64-bit will give you the most noticeable performance improvement, assuming you have the memory to maximize it. It all really depends on the size of your data. Sometimes data sets are so large that development needs to take place on a server because that is the only hardware that can handle it. For example, if you have 100M rows of data, even 6GB on a desktop will not be enough to give you good performance (if it can handle it at all). Monitor size is really up to you--a bigger monitor and/or a dual-monitor display will make your life easier for design work...

Regards,

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

That all depends on how much data you're dealing with in individual QlikView applications. Developers need to be able to either load the entire application (or sometimes a portion of the data for the application) on their own PC. In our shop, I believe all but three applications are small enough to fit on a 32-bit PC with 2GB of RAM. The largest requires a 64 bit machine with 8 GB of RAM. In our shop, only ONE development PC has the larger configuration, and we remote control that PC as necessary. Since there are so few apps that require that PC, and since I ended up as the point of contact for all three, we've had no problems with more than one developer needing the machine at once that couldn't be resolved with some simple communication.

As a rough estimate for memory required for an application, divide the size of the raw data by 10, then add 5-10% for each concurrent user. So let's say your'e making a sales application, and you have 100 GB of sales data that you want to display, and you expect to have 20 concurrent users. That's going to take probably 10 GB of RAM on the development machine, and 20-30 GB of RAM on the server. But let's say that's 10 years worth of sales data. The developer in this case can likely limit the load during development to only a single year, and the application will only take 1 GB of data, and he or she will be able to do the work on a 32-bit machine with 2 GB of RAM. But even in this case, you may want at least ONE 64-bit development machine with 10+ GB in order to test the complete load.

Monitor size seems like a non-issue to me. We develop for the LOWEST resolution in common use at our company (1024 x 768). So if the developer's monitor is at least that lowest resolution, there's no problem. It is, of course, easier to work on a large monitor in many cases. But I'm personally running a single 1280 x 1024 monitor, oriented vertically, and it's perfectly sufficient for QlikView development.

Not applicable
Author

John Witherspoon,

Above Mr. John Witherspoon is absolutely correct.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Short answer: depends.

You should estimate how big your applications could be.

Some footprints:

- 64bits operating systems since 32bits will not scale up more than 3Gb

- I´ve been using Intel i7 (2nd,3rd and 4th generations) for last 3 years, with no big concerns

- Multiple monitors are 'nice to have' but you can live without it

My dev laptop

- Lenovo

- i7 4th generation

- 8 Gb RAM

- 14 screen + 21 inches secondary monitor

Not applicable
Author

Short answer: Clever Anjos: you´re repeating the same things @John Witherspoon, just said above,

You should estimate how big your applications could be.

reply was short and sweet in mathematical terms, weather you are using the 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation computer configurations, it doesn´t matter and everyone knows that x86 computers will never scale. It depends on your requirements not the 4th generation computers. See below what he said above:

As a rough estimate for memory required for an application, divide the size of the raw data by 10, then add 5-10% for each concurrent user. So let's say your'e making a sales application, and you have 100 GB of sales data that you want to display, and you expect to have 20 concurrent users. That's going to take probably 10 GB of RAM on the development machine, and 20-30 GB of RAM on the server. But let's say that's 10 years worth of sales data. The developer in this case can likely limit the load during development to only a single year, and the application will only take 1 GB of data, and he or she will be able to do the work on a 32-bit machine with 2 GB of RAM. But even in this case, you may want at least ONE 64-bit development machine with 10+ GB in order to test the complete load.

thanks again. @John Witherspoon.

Ronnie_Taborn
Support
Support

The following PDF's will get you started.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Sorry Chickov A if I upset you,

Rob Tow was asking for suggested configurations. I´ve just wanted to help him.