Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Cannot resize straight table chart

I have a table box, but I need to add a couple of expressions. I am therefore replacing the table box with a straight table chart. All simple so far.

The table box's columns were wider than the width in the caption tab, but this was fine as a horizontal scroll bar appeared.

In my straight table, the horizontal scroll only appears beneath the expression columns, and no matter what figure I put into the Caption tab width the chart resizes itself to the width of all the columns.

This is silly. What have I forgotten?

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi

On the layout tab, switch off "Size to Data"

That should help.

Not applicable
Author

A straight table chart extends to its maximum size. In order to expand the whole chart, you need to expand the individual columns. There are two pointers that you will see on a straight table chart, one is a horizontal line with arrows on the ends, which extends the whole chart (not very useful here). The other is a plus sign with arrows on the horizontal. That one extends a column. You can drag a column out and the whole chart will change size. It gets tricky when you're working with the last column on the chart as that one will get both pointers depending on where you are.

Adding new expressions should automatically resize the chart. I think it is easier to add everything and then individually resize the fields. The scroll bar the for entire chart won't affect the dimensions, but you can resize those individually.

Also, the width on the caption is kind of useless as you can put it at 10,000, but it will never get bigger than the contents.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks to both of you.

Nigel, I have tried with Size to Data checked and unchecked. No help, but thanks.

NMiller - are you saying that the chart will not go smaller than the column widths? That is very poor! Why can I make a table box narrower than its columns, but not a straight table chart?

Not applicable
Author

No, you can go smaller, you just can't go bigger...when Size to Data is checked. I looked at that option after seeing Nigel's post and it worked for me. The chart got as big as the caption definition, meaning I had whitespace around my chart (since it was smaller).

Could you attach a sample?

Not applicable
Author

I think we are talking at crossed purposes. I want my straight table to be a maximum of 770 pixels (or whatever units) wide. I can only reduce my table to this width if I narrow all the columns to a point where their contents become meaningless.

In a table box, the width is set in the caption and a scroll bar appears if the columns exceed this. Why is this perfectly sensible behaviour not available in a straight table? Or is it, and I have not yet found it?

I can't really attach a sample - customer data. And if I remove the data it shrinks.

Not applicable
Author

Have you tried unticking "Size to data" in Layout tab?

richnorris
Creator II
Creator II

I have tried unticking size to data but am still unable to reduce a streight table to be smaller than the full width of the data, why is this? I can scroll up and down the table fine, so why not left and right?

edit: http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/28513/109308.aspx#109308 found this reply. Sorry for bringing back this old thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I tried navigating to this thread to see the solution but it looks like the conversation no longer exists. Do you remember what the solution was?

http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/28513/109308.aspx#109308

Thanks!

Not applicable
Author

Put your straight table in a container.