Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Adding email recipients to a distribution.

Currently I am trying to work on running a .qvw and have the results published to a email group as a PDF. We have installed the PDF add-on, and have publisher as well.

I go into the Source documents section, select the document, and on the Distribute I click Add for the email section. The window opens (pic 1) and quickly changes to a different window (pic 2).

I can only search on groups/users that are local to the QV server. The only scopes available are None and the local server, not the domain the server part of, and that the Directory Service Connector is configured to use.

Are we stuck using only local groups to manage email lists, or is there something I am missing?

pic 1:

error loading image

pic 2:

error loading image

34 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Gary,

I found this page very helpful for setting up Custom Users: http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/24005.aspx

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

I think I just realized what my problem with creating users for a custom directory is. This particular installation is SBE (small business edition) and DMS is disabled for SBE. I believe custom directories rely on DMS. It would be helpful if they grayed out certain features in QEMC if the license you are using does not support those features.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Hmmm...I actually don't think that's the problem. You should be able to set up a custom directory even without DMS authorization enabled. More likely the problem has something to do with the Path or the Port.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

I did remove the username and password sections for security purposes.

I made the change you suggested to use the LDAP format, and it didn't seem to make a difference. It still doesn't show anything more than the local machine for scope, and only searches the local machine for users and groups. Very puzzling.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Have you checked the trust relationship between the QVS server and the domain controller? It's possible that the QVS server doesn't have permission to browse the AD.

Also, what sort of user is the Publisher account on the domain controller? Is it a local account on the QVS box or a domain admin? Keep in mind that the Publisher account needs permission to browse the AD structure as well.

Regards,

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Gary,

I did a little experimentation on your issue and was able to find the problem. When you create a Custom Directory, change your port to something other than the default value of 0. You can then add users and groups in the manner outlined in the post I linked to.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

This WORKS!!! I changed the port to a number and then all the sudden it accepted my adding the user. I was also able to get Publisher to email the report to me by selecting the custom directory user that I had set up.

Thank you very much Vlad!

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Glad it works, Gary!

a_roche, any update on your problem?

Not applicable
Author

Vlad,

Still having the techs check into the trust issue. The service acct is a domain member so he should have access to the AD, but I will have to look into that as well. I think I will also check what rights have been assigned the acct, perhaps it does not have the Act as OS or Act as Service rights. i'll keep you up to date.

Not applicable
Author

The problem has been resolved. It seems that although the Directory Service Connector service is setup to login to the domain with the appropriate user and password and could do so successfully, it did not guarantee that the username and password specified within the AD connector configuration section of the QEMC would be typed correctly. I had the customers tech retype the password and the connector started working correctly.

All because they fat fingered the password.

Thanks anyway for all the help you gave me Vlad, I really do appreciate it.