cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trouble charting data

Hello --

I am a beginner to Qlik and I'm working on my first big dashboard project. I am creating a Productivity Variance dashboard for our finance /production teams.

They have asked for a series of graphs but also want the straight table data underneath to allow them to analyze the raw data they have drilled down on.

The specific problem I am having is that they would like to be able to chart the overall variance hours (std production hours vs. actual production hours) by Qtr, Month, Week, Customer, Part #, and any combination of these.

How would I go about doing this? I started out by creating individual charts and then grouping them in containers - but I get the problem that some of the charts say "No data to display"  until I've drilled down to a certain level (say to a specific customer & part number).

My expression to gather this metric is fairly complex, and I'm wondering if that is my problem? In order to gather what I need, I have to do math against actual transacted qtys against the costs for the part, and then against the actual process hours reported for that workorder.

(((((If(Isnull(LABOR_LESS_SUBASSY_COST),LABORCOST,LABOR_LESS_SUBASSY_COST)/9.46)*60)) * Sum(TRANS_QUAN))-(((SUM(PROCESS_HOURS) * 60) / (SUM(TRANS_QUAN)))* Sum(TRANS_QUAN)))/60

I appreciate any and all help - and will gladly provide any more detail that is needed.

Thanks!

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi joe

would it be possible to have a set of data and an example of graphs you need ?

best regards

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Attached is the sample data.

I am loading 4 primary tables:

• Transactions - Has all the transactional data for work orders
  • Costs - Has all the labor costs for parts
  • Labor Hours - Has the labor hours reported for a work order
  • Customer - Has the customer name linked to the part number

Transactions.Part_ID -> Costs.Part_ID

Transactions.Workorder_ID -> Labor Hours.WorkOrder_ID

Transactions.Part_ID -> Customer.Part_ID

In order to calculate my standard labor minutes for a part, I have to perform math against the cost. We're only trying to capture the productivity at the top level, so if the part has a sub-assembly I need to use the labor cost less the subassembly. If the part does not have a sub assembly I use just its labor cost.

The formula I am using looks like this for that:

If(isnull(laborcost_lesssubassembly),laborcost,laborcost_lesssubassembly))/$9.46)*60

This formula should give me the calculated labor std minute for a part based on its labor cost (the 9.46 is a standard labor dollar amount that I made up for this sample)

Then in order to calculate the actual labor hours spend on a part, I need to summarize the transactions and labor hours for the work order/part and then multiply them by each other to get the actual reported time.

So:

Actual labor minutes: Sum(Transactions.Trans_Qty) * Sum(Labor Hours.Process_Hrs)*60

Difference back in hours: (If(isnull(laborcost_lesssubassembly),laborcost,laborcost_lesssubassembly))/$9.46)*60) - (Sum(Transactions.Trans_Qty) * Sum(Labor Hours.Process_Hrs)*60) / 60

Now - I need this data (the difference) to be bar charted by Qtr, Month, Week, Customer, Part, Customer/Part.

Does this help you?

Not applicable
Author

Joe,

to answer your first question "No data to display"

change in your formula 9.46 by 9,46  comma instead of dot

Chris

Not applicable
Author

Joe

to get Month, Week, quater, year

Transaction:

LOAD Part_ID,

Part_No,

Revision,

WorkOrder_ID,

Trans_Date,

year(Trans_Date)        as Trans_Year,

Month(Trans_Date) as Trans_Month,

ceil(num(Month(Trans_Date))/3)        as Trans_quarter,

week(Trans_Date)    as Trans_Week,

Trans_Qty,

LotNo

FROM

SampleData.xlsx

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Transactions);

best regards

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi christianj --

I have no trouble loading the data, and it seems to come together fine.

The trouble I am having is getting the data to chart correctly.

Because I have to first summarize all the transactions for a given workorder/part id/rev - it's not calculating my labor times it seems?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

For example - I can create the chart when I include Workorder_ID, Part, and Customer as dimensions. But when I try to summarize down to just customer or a date, "No data to display"

Example:

Working:

working.png

Not working:

notworking.PNG.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I've found that if I narrow down my selection to a customer and a part, the "customer" variance graphs. But until I drill down to that point, it's "No data to display"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Does anyone have any suggestions? I cannot get this to chart by just 1 dimension. Only when I have both.

What would this indicate? If this is a newbie question, I apologize.