Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Question on List box expression

Hi -

This is a simple question, with I hope a simple answer.  I have a Master Calendar with a Trade_Calendar_Quarter column.  It is 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending upon in which quarter the date falls.  I can create a list box with that column in it, and it shows 1, 2, 3, and 4, as expected.  I wanted it to look nice, so I made it an expression:

='Q' & Trade_Calendar_Quarter

With that as the expression, it shows Q, Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4.  The Q is grayed out, as it is not possible.

So the question is really two questions: why does that happen, and how can I not have the Q show up?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nilo_pontes
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Blair, try the Dual function.

i.e.: Dual('Q' & Trade_Calendar_Quarter,Trade_Calendar_Quarter)

Best regards

View solution in original post

16 Replies
venkatg6759
Creator III
Creator III

You have hide excluded  in properties of that list box if you don't want to show Q .

It was not showed you just made an expression at front end .

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Use this in your master calendar:

Ceil(Month(DateField)/3) AS Quarter,

Best regards.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

=if(len(trim(Trade_Calendar_Quarter))=0, null(), 'Q' & Trade_Calendar_Quarter)

Not applicable
Author

I'm afraid I've tried that, and it doesn't work.

venkatg6759
Creator III
Creator III

Try to follow Oswaldo reply  that might work .

Not applicable
Author

This does work, but it seems very strange that if there are no values in the calendar for that column other than 1, 2, 3, and 4 that it would be necessary.  Why does concatenating the 'Q' seem to create a 'new' value?

Not applicable
Author

This would just give me 1, 2, 3, and 4.  I already have that.  It's the concatenation of 'Q' that is causing the problem.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I suggest extract Quatrer from a valid Date Field (no nulls)  to make sure get correct data if you have nulls, specify a number like a default value ( if(isnull(MyField),1,MyField) ) and use it in your formula.

Something like this:

Ceil(Month( if(isnull(MyField),1,DateField) )/3) AS Quarter,

or

Q & '-' &if(isnull(QuarterField),1,MyField) as Quarter

Best regards.

Not applicable
Author

The second expression works.  However, so does just this:

'Q-' & Trade_Calendar_Quarter as Quarter

Why does this work in the load script but not in the expression on the list box?  Why does the list box seem to introduce a null/empty value that isn't really there?