Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Which CALs can edit documents?

Hello

I am trying to understand QV licensing and came upon CALs.

Which CALs can create / edit / delete documents?

Thanks a lot

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

Named CALs (Client Access License) - is primarily used to permit unlimited access to documents and to permit use of QlikView applications. This includes: creating connections to data sources, modeling, creating UI (e.g. dashboards) and possibly storing data (creating QVD files).

There's more...

If one has access to the folder containing the qvw files that are published to Qlik AccessPoint, then one can delete the files and thus remove the application from AccessPoint > this does NOT require a license (i.e. CAL).

Session, Doc CALs are primarily used for usage to "end users" or people who will be interacting with a Qlik application but may or may not build charts, etc. These are not associated with connecting to data, modeling data, or storing data (QVD creation), rather, these can be used for interaction in an application and/or adding UI content (permitting use of building a chart, adding an object from repository, adding annotations, etc.).

Hope this helps you out.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Giuseppe_Novello

Tomas,

Only in qlikview developer you can create / edit / delete documents, by that you have two options:

1- Get a developer license

2- Have Name Cals in you Server license, which your developer lease license from and will give the same capabilities that a developer does, but developer must lease license again every 30 days.

Attached you can find information about licenses and how to lease a license.

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot

I think you forgot the attachment.

Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

Named CALs (Client Access License) - is primarily used to permit unlimited access to documents and to permit use of QlikView applications. This includes: creating connections to data sources, modeling, creating UI (e.g. dashboards) and possibly storing data (creating QVD files).

There's more...

If one has access to the folder containing the qvw files that are published to Qlik AccessPoint, then one can delete the files and thus remove the application from AccessPoint > this does NOT require a license (i.e. CAL).

Session, Doc CALs are primarily used for usage to "end users" or people who will be interacting with a Qlik application but may or may not build charts, etc. These are not associated with connecting to data, modeling data, or storing data (QVD creation), rather, these can be used for interaction in an application and/or adding UI content (permitting use of building a chart, adding an object from repository, adding annotations, etc.).

Hope this helps you out.

Not applicable
Author

Oh, it's more complex than I thought

But sure it helps me a lot!

Thank you

Not applicable
Author

the simplest licence to do it is USER CAL leased from the server, by opening any document in desktop version of QV with "open in the server" option.

Then to edit documents you will need to have a direct access to .qvw files and open them normaly with QV Desktop.

Regards

LM

Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

Tomas - All depends if you are looking to support a handful of people or a vast majority of your enterprise organization. The right answer is typically not a single CAL type but instead a properly assessed balance/hybrid of the licenses. For instance, if you have 500 people in your organization and you want some people to connect to data, model it and build UI, this doesn't require everyone have a Named CAL unless you need everyone doing this. Often times, you can balance Named with Session and that is fine. Sometimes, you might require Usage CALs for audiences like Financial users who ping the system a lot at the end of the month. If you are truly in need of guidance, please contact the Sales people at Qlik and they can guide you appropriately.

Qlik Sales - http://www.qlik.com/#%2Fus%2Foverlay%2Fcontact-sales

Best wishes.

Greg

Giuseppe_Novello

Not sure but the attachments are right below my post? you can see the attach image.

You dont see them?  Anyone else has the same problem?

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

No. Do not see attachments.

Ronnie_Taborn
Support
Support

I can see the attachments.