Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Limit "create object" for some users

Dear all.

Is it possible to limit "new/create object" functionality to a number of users?

Suppose a document (in a server environment) which can be accessed by 100 users, and only some "expert users" should create (and possibly share) new objects in this document. How to limit this?

Regards,

Julio.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

I think you can probably lock down creation of new objects with Section Access used in combination with Document Properties --> Security. You can then set the users who should have object creation permission as ADMINs in the Section Access and set the "Admin overrides security" option. I haven't tested this, but it should work in theory. Lars is correct though that there is no easier way to do this.

Regards,

View solution in original post

6 Replies
lhr
Employee
Employee

unfortunately i don't think it can be done in the current version.

cheers,

lars

Not applicable
Author

Then... no way to do this?

every user can create objects? When there are a lot of users accessing the same document, and all of them creating and sharing objects (usually, users share objects with everybody), it can be a mess...

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

I think you can probably lock down creation of new objects with Section Access used in combination with Document Properties --> Security. You can then set the users who should have object creation permission as ADMINs in the Section Access and set the "Admin overrides security" option. I haven't tested this, but it should work in theory. Lars is correct though that there is no easier way to do this.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Vlad. Could you please explain this solution a bit more in detail, please??

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Sure. It's basically a 3-step process. I would recommend that you copy the QVW before you start since you can accidentally lock yourself out if you make a mistake.

Step 1: Define your section access security in the script. If you're not sure how to do this, see pages 506 - 509 of the QlikView Reference Manual. The users that should be allowed to create objects should be granted ADMIN rights. The rest of the users should be granted USER rights. Reload the script.

Step 2: Open Settings --> Document Properties. In the Security tab, check the "Admin Override Security" checkbox.

Step 3: Right-click on any sheet tab in the tabrow and select "Sheet Properties." Go to the security tab and uncheck every checkbox (except maybe "Move/Size Sheet Objects" if you want to leave users that functionality). Check the checkbox "Apply to All Sheets." Save and close the QVW file. Next time you reopen it, the new security settings will apply and users with USER privileges will be unable to add/delete objects or sheets.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Anuhyak1
Creator
Creator

Please,post the steps how we can define at section access.Provide with an example.Please,send the qlikview file if you have done so for step1,step2,step3. I need this really fast for my project.Could you please help.