Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What is difference between Qlik Sense & QV Desktop client?

Hi,

What is difference between Qlik Sense & QV Desktop client?

BR,

Anta

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Melissa_Potvin
Community Manager
Community Manager

(posting on behalf of product marketing )

QlikView is our first-generation BI solution that drove the shift in the market away from large, IT-driven, stack-based technologies to more agile data discovery approaches, kicking-off the data analytics revolution. With our one-of-a-kind Associative Engine, customers readily adopted QlikView to solve business problems because it allowed them to rapidly create highly interactive dashboards and analytics apps without dependence on stack technology. Over two decades, QlikView has driven tremendous value for customers of all shapes and sizes, across all major industries and geographies.

In 2014, we introduced Qlik Sense, our next-generation platform for modern analytics.  It supports the full range of analytics use cases across an organization — including governed self-service, centralized dashboards and applications, natural language conversational analytics, custom and embedded analytics, mobile analytics, and reporting.   It runs on the same Associative Engine as QlikView, but includes a new Cognitive Engine for AI-enabled insight suggestions, automation, and natural language processing.  And it does this within a governed, multi-cloud architecture available in combinations of SaaS, private cloud and on-premises deployments.

For new Qlik customers, there is no longer the need to perform a comparison between the products – we recommend Qlik Sense.  And for our existing customers, you should feel confident in the continued use and support QlikView, while considering Qlik Sense for new use cases and applications.  We have a program now available that makes it easy and economical for you to bring Qlik Sense on-board, modernize your architecture, and consume your existing QlikView apps through Qlik Sense Enterprise on cloud services or Kubernetes.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Both are different Products, have a look into the Qlik Sense Support FAQ

What is Qlik Sense Desktop?

This is the first public release of Qlik Sense. The Desktop edition is what has been referred to as the "Personal Edition" historically.

more in the FAQ

Not applicable
Author

Hi Daniel,

You said both are different products, QlikView and QlikSense. I tried to get little more details on the differences in the FAQ but i couldn't. Please, help us to understand why there is another product QlikSense when we have QlikView?

Not applicable
Author

Maybe you should also have a look into the general information about QlikSense

http://www.qlik.com/us/explore/products/sense?ga-link=hero

QlikSense is different than QlikView and there will be scenarios where QlikView is best and otherwise QlikSense will be best.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Daniel.

Not applicable
Author

Daniel,

In terms of the product roadmap will QlikSense replace the QlikView Developer Desktop Client and

can you provide a matrix showing the benefits/weaknesses of QlikSense and QV developer desktop?

Thanks

Brian

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

HI Brian,

QlikView and Qlik Sense are two different products with difference purposes.  QlikView is for guided analytics; Qlik Sense is for self-service visualizations.  Since they have different purposes, one is not intended to replace the other. Qlik intends to continue to invest in both platforms.  At this point, there is not a public roadmap however, I will pass your suggestion along. 

The best place to review the benefits of both products is on our website.  Also note that the server version of Qlik Sense will be released in Sept, with additional capabilities.

-Josh 

Not applicable
Author

Hi Josh,

Great. One is not intended to replace others but can't we have both together? or please elaborate in bit detail to understand why we can't have it together?

-Vijay

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

VIjay,

An organization can absolutely use both. We expect many of our customers will have both.  Sorry I wasn't clear on this point.

-Josh

Not applicable
Author

Josh,

This is where all the confusions. QlikSense appears as a super-set of QlikView. So, it gives me the understanding that i can do whatever i can do with QlikView, and even more as features listed in data sheet, like compulsive collaboration, mobility with agility and so on.

The reason to have two line of products with respect to Guided Analytics and Self-Service Discovery, may give more insights. Why QlikTech, separated both features instead of combing and providing it in a single product, may help to understand the reason behind to have two line of products.

Say for example, J2ME intended for mobile java application development where as J2EE for enterprise java application development. It gives the clear understanding why we need to have two different edition of java?

I think, the key insight is hiding behind Self-Service Discovery and Guided Analytics, it could be the differences in data modeling to allow self-service discovery, or something else. If that comes out, then it's not an issue to understand and accept to look QlikSense and QlikView as different line of products.