cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Playing with Extensions in Sense

As you know, extensions provide additional functionality that extend the capability of many products. QlikView has this capability, so it only makes sense to have it in Qlik Sense too - no pun intended.

I'd like to point out that Extensions are not limited to just visualizations. You can implement other types of functionality, including those available from the Qlik Sense API. (This will become more relative when the Qlik Sense Server is released later this year. See the ToolBar extension to see a simple example of this.)

If you want to check out the current example extensions that are available with Sense you can perform the following steps:

1. Go to C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Qlik\Examples\Extensions
  2. Copy the complete folder of the extension you want to C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Extensions
  3. Restart Desktop

So for example - if you want to use the PeopleChart:

Take the complete folder from C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Qlik\Examples\Extensions

1.PNG.png

Copy to it to:

C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Extensions

2.PNG.png

After Desktop starts, go to the design interface in an app:

3.PNG.png

Use as you would by adding measures and dimensions

4.PNG.png

Enjoy!

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
57 Replies
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing this!

One question: Is there a template for Qlik Sense extensions?

Something like this?Object Extension Templates

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Michael,

I have been playing around and am struggling a little if I try to add more than one expression.

I set the measures min and max to 2 and can successfully add 2 expressions, however whatever way I try and access the data, I only get the dimension and the first expression.  I have set the qWidth of the qInitialDataFetch to 3, but that hasn't helped.  Is there something else that I need to change?

Regards,

Stephen

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee
Author

Hi Stephen - let me see what I can do, stand by.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Try setting qWidth and qHeight much higher.  They basically define the amount of data you will get back in your hybercube. qWidth 3 will give you either 2 Dim + 1 Expr or 1 Dim + 2 Expr. If you have 2 Dimensions enabled.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee
Author

Thanks Torben - Stephen I also have a few "Gurus" looking at this. Let me know if yous till need assistance.

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I have only 1 dimension and 2 expressions and qWidth set to 3 and qHeight left at 50.  There are only 4 rows in my dataset.

If I query backendApi.getDimensionInfos(), I can get the dimension name and if I query on backendApi.getMeasureInfos(), I get both expression titles.  However if I use either layout.qHyperCube.qDataPages[0].qMatrix or backendApi.eachDataRow(function(rownum, row) {}, I only get 2 values - the dimension and the first expression.

Regards,

Stephen

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

I agree with Torben.  qWidth and qHeight is basically defining the height and width of your table.  So, for example, a qHeight of 3 will only return 3 rows of data and a qWidth of 3 will return 3 columns.

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

There are templates in the workbench editor which you can access locally here:

http://localhost:4848/workbencheditor

EDIT: In more recent versions, you can find it here: http://localhost:4848/workbench

When you click on the "new" button, you'll see a list of templates you can use to get started.

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Brian,

I did use the workbench to create the extension.

I have qWidth: 3, qHeight: 50 and only 4 rows of data.  Still only getting 2 values returned - the dimension and the expression.

Regards,

Stephen