Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is SSL secure enough?

I'm working with some medical related data, so obviously security is a top concern. Currently, we have our dashboard available on the Access Point which is hidden behind a VPN. However, some of our users can't the VPN due to their company's network policy. To use the VPN, they have to disconnect from their office LAN and then use a Verizon MiFi card to access the internet and can only use the VPN on the MiFi card. Of course, the MiFi card is too slow so users are rarely using the dashboard.

We would like to implement SSL instead of VPN for these users so that way they can use their faster ethernet connection to directly login. How can I use SSL with IIS on a Windows 2012 server? Is SSL secure enough that we can let users connect to the dashboard, and control their login with Windows/Qlikview?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Giuseppe_Novello

Dear Colin,

Attached is steps to implement SSL. Now, Accesspoint is basically a webpage so adding SSL is a extra security layer, in other words, yes it is safe.

Transport Layer Security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Giuseppe_Novello

Dear Colin,

Attached is steps to implement SSL. Now, Accesspoint is basically a webpage so adding SSL is a extra security layer, in other words, yes it is safe.

Transport Layer Security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Colin,

SSL is secure and there are different levels of SSL. I would make sure the Provider of you SSL certificate has a reputation for security. VeriSign is a great one, but the cost can be very high.

The installation and setup using IIS is very easy and your IT team shouldn't have any issue doing it.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply. I had thought that SSL was safe, but I had a user with concerns since SSL leaves an external IP instead of being hidden behind a VPN. This helps!

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Yes, port 443 is open to the outside world. However, it is just like your Bank Website. You secure it with a username and password. What SSL does is makes the data exchange secured.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
nitubisht
Contributor
Contributor

SSL is commonly used to refer to the encryption protocol that secures communication over the internet. A digital certificate that verifies an organization's identity and permits encrypted connections is known as an SSL certificate. An SSL certificate should be purchased and installed by a trusted SSL provider such as ssl2buy.com in order to secure data transfer between the browser and the server.