Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

About Qlikview Licenses - Difference between Named user CAL and document CAL

Hi Support,

I have not bought the software yet but need deeper understanding on some topics.Say I have 3 documents in the access point . Say ,I have implemented security so that a particular user can see only 2 documents that he is supposed to see from the access point. Now if the user can at a time open both documents from the access point, can he do this only if he has named user CAL ? If he can open only one document from the access point at a time then he will be holding only document CAL right ?He can open the other document only after closing the first one right? So can I conclude that a named user CAL provides more flexibility for the user ? On the other hand from the memory utilization point of view , if the user has named user CAL the probability of memory consumption will be higher right since he can open multiple documents at the same time and hence more memory consumed?

So my conclusion based on the above interpretation would be that

1) To control memory utilization , I should go for document CAL license.

2) To provide flexibility to user, I should go for named user CAL license.

Please connect me if I am wrong.

Regards

Manoj

13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Anybody there please help on the licensing query . This is urgent.

Not applicable
Author

Hi there,

for licensing questions the best person to contact is your QV Sales Rep / Consultant.

Regarding Document CALs they do not limit users to open one document at a time. How it works is that for each document on your server you assign a number of document CALs to specific users. Each user accessing the document will use one of the document CALs. There is also the option to assign document CALs dynamically. However, once a user has accessed a document one document CAL is locked for 24 hours before it could be assigned to another user. That's why it's recommended to really buy 1 document CAL per user accessing the document.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lucas ,

Thanks for responding . So what I understand from your reply is say for eg. say there are two documents say document A and document B in my server . There are totally only 5 document CALS for document A . So this can be assigned only dynamically . So the first 5 users accessing the document A will consume the document CAL , the 6th person will have to wait for 24 hrs before he can access the document A is it ?

So in this scenario , it is always better to buy 6 document CAL's for document A , so that each of the 6 users can access document A simultaneously right ? I have one question here .. do we need to buy document CAL's for each of the document ? Say if there are 2 documents - document A and document B and there are 6 users who need to access these documents , so does it mean that I need to buy 2 * 6 = 12 document CAL's in total ?

Also I have asked about named user CAL .. do you mean this "1 document CAL per user accessing the document" is termed as named user CAL ??

Is it advisable to buy named user CAL instead of document CAL or is it a must to buy both ?

Regards

Manoj

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

you can assign the document CALs dynamically OR by name. If 5 users connect they consume 5 licenses - correct. The 6th user would not have access. If you wanted to assign one of the licenses to another user then you would need to manually remove one licenses from one of the five users (you can do this only after a quarantine time of 24 hrs).

Say if there are 2 documents - document A and document B and there are 6 users who need to access these documents , so does it mean that I need to buy 2 * 6 = 12 document CAL's in total ?"

If a user needs to access Document A and Document B he will require two licenses.

It's advisable to go with named user CALs if possible - they give you more flexibility and there's less administration required. But you should determine what the most economic solution for you is. If you have a large number of users just accessing 1 document then you should go with Document CALs. If you have users accessing a lot of different documents (more than 3), then Named CALs are the better approach.

You can use a combination of both actually, so you don't need to decide for one or the other.

Cheers, Lukas

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Lukas.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lukas:

Please your help, which are the technical differences between both types of licenses?

Thank you 🙂

Monica

Not applicable
Author

Hi Monica,

what do you mean precisely? I believe the posts above cover the differences already quite exclusively...

Lukas

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lukas:

I refer to, a Document Cal has, for example, some delay, conflicts with other types of license, has the same toolbar that a Named Cal, It is necessary to do some special design to the information in order that it works, apart from administration, that you indicate, there are another restrictions not to use a Document Cal.

Additional, which is the definition of a document, can be a document that contains several sheets, for example 15, with three united modules: Finance (5), Sales (5) and Human Resources (5) and a user can view this with a Document Cal.

Maybe you have some document on this topic
Thank you

Not applicable
Author

Hi Monica,

for detailed licensing questions you should contact your QlikTech rep... we use a large number of document CALs in our environment and a small number of named CALs. Basically document CALs work the same way but need to be administrated differently as indicated.

Below the restrictions of named CALs - I'm not sure if these are still valid though, there was discussions on removing them... again you're best advised to talk to you QlikTech rep.

Cheers, Lukas

19.2 Types of CALs
There are four different types of CALs available:
• Named CAL (an identified user on a server) - Access is based on user identity
and valid for all documents on the server, that is any number of concurrent
sessions from one user on one machine at a time is allowed.
• Document CAL (an identified user within a given document) - Just as
above, the access is based on user identity, but the CAL is valid only for one
document. If the same user connects to two documents using this licensing
method, he will hence consume two Document CALs.
• Session CAL - Each Session CAL allows one user to access one QlikView
document, that is to have one session at a time. Anonymous users are
allowed, no identification of the client user is necessary.
• Usage CAL - Each Usage CAL gives the right to initiate one session (single
document) per running 28-day period. The session may last a maximum of
one hour. Any activity after the first hour has expired will count as a new
session (albeit without visible interruption). No identification of the client
user is necessary.
Note CALs are used for purposes of licensing only and they have nothing to do
with user authentication for data access purposes.
Identification
In order to utilize a Named CAL or a Document CAL, the client user must be
identified either via an authenticated user name (Windows Active Directory
or through a ticket exchange between the web server and the QlikView
Server) or with a unique machine ID. An IP address is not a valid form of
identification for a Named CAL. The two methods of identification cannot
be mixed on the same instance of QlikView Server. Note that the user name
identification requires Windows authentication on Java and Ajax clients,
since machine name identification is not possible from these clients.
Document restrictions
The purpose of the Document CAL is to provide a mechanism by which
licensees can license the use of a single document. To prevent the combination
of many data models into a single document, there are restrictions in the
documents which can be used with the Document CAL. The Named CAL,
the Session CAL and the Usage CAL can however be used to open any functional
QlikView document. The Document CAL, however, can only be used
with documents which have a single contiguous data model and do not contain
any chasm traps between tables.
Most common data models used in QlikView documents can be used for
Document CALs. For instance, proper star schemas and snowflake schemas
typically have the field with the highest cardinality in the fact table and the
keys in dimensional tables have a lower cardinality. For snowflake schemas,
the cardinality decreases further as you move away from the fact table. Documents
containing such models typically fulfill the above demands and are
well suited for Document CALs.
But documents with multiple logical islands are normally not allowed. Multiple
logical islands are only allowed if the additional tables are unconnected
and contain only few records or one single column.
Further, the document may not contain any loosely coupled tables.
Finally, the cardinality (number of distinct values) of the key fields must
decrease as you move away from the fact table.