Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView Server Enterprise on different machines (without PUB)

Hello,

Is was wondering (and even testing) if it's possible to install QlikView Server Enterprise on different machines, but without Publisher.

So let's say:

On QV1 install QMC, DSC and QDS (which is the reloadengine now)

On QV2 install QVS and QVWS

I tried this and most things work great. The PGO files are in a shared folder on QV1, this works! The documents are in a shared folder on QV2.

Now I created a reload task... error : ReloadEngine@QV2 is down.
Why does it say @QV2, becaus I installed the QDS service on QV1???

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You need to have clustering in your license.

Not applicable
Author

Why clustering? I'am not clustering the services, only putting them on other machines...

Just like Publisher can run on an other server then QlikView Server Service.

The Enterprise license stated that you can deploy the services apart from each other, so I want to make that work without Publisher of Clustering.

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

This should work normally.

Go to QEMC and make sure you have pointed QliKview server and Qlikview Webserver to correct location.

Example

QEMC-->system--> setup --> Qlikview server and make sure it is

QVS@qv2

not

QVS@qv1

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I already did this. Only the reloads ain't working.

It's QV 11.2 SR7 by the way.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Can you post any of the logs that shows the errors.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

It's not in the logs, thats so strange about it. Only the QMC is giving the error every time I try to make a reload task.

When I disable the task (so there isn't any one else) the error disappears.

Once again, it's only an Enterprise license. No Publisher. I'm trying to make it work to put the Qlikview Server Service on another machine, away from the reload engine.

The QVS is on QV2, the QMC and reload engine are on QV1. When I make a reload task, the QMC states that the ReloadEngine@QV2 is down. But that's not possible, because I installed the reload engine on QV1.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

OK,

I don't think you can separate the services when you are doing server reloads.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hmmm So I/We can make the conclusion that you can buy an Enterprise license, get a ton of benefits except one, which I think is one of the greatest about the Enterprise license. That is separating the Qlikview Server Service from the reloads (the two most RAM consuming parts of the server). You can do this, but then you have to buy an other license, the Publisher License...

Hmmmm again.

wallace_c
Employee
Employee

MartijnvdEijnde I just cross this question with one partner another day, I did reproduce this in our VM, everything is running fine but you can't do reload. It will says Reload-engine is down.

There is nothing record in logs but QMC log will show:

ErrorSystem.Exception: Failed to retrieve document list from the specified QVS ||    at QMSBackendCore.Service.ServiceImpl.GetUserDocumentList(Guid qvsID) ||    at QMSBackendCore.Service.ServiceImpl.Diagnostics.CacheDocumentAvailable()

I checked Server reference manual in 6.8 Reload Engine:

In the absence of a Publisher license, the Reload Engine provides a subset of the Publisher distribution

services. The Reload Engine only reloads user documents and the settings are defined directly in the user

documents.

This is the limitation when you have only Server license. From one hand, I probably will ask myself why install components on different machines which I don't have ability to configure?

However from another hand also, I think our documentation might need to give more clear notice on this limitation too. Maybe put a note. 

Thanks for bring this to our attention. I will try to log a documentation bug see what we can do. Happy New Year!

Regards,

Wallace