Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Detached lease license

Hello, I read QlikView License Leasing Technical Brief Paper.pdf but I find a special paragraph that got my attention.

In page 4 the document talk about Segregated environments and says:

"In scenarios where the Developer is completely detached from the QlikView Enterprise Server and is therefore unable to obtain a license lease via port 4747, no other option exists other than to contact QlikTech who will issue Local License Keys that will need to be installed locally"

I have a similar case because a provider has installed a software here in a desktop PC and generate a report in Qlikview to consume the generated data. This report won't be modified only will be updated with new information.

In this case, could I obtain a detached license (Named CAL or document CAL) as the paragraph mentioned?

This could help to save money.

Thanks in advance

David

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi Chris Rice

I have seen a case let say.

User1 is leasing License from Server on his personal Laptop in his Office.

Now he is disconnected from QlikView Server domain.

Takes the content back home and work from home.

Once he open QlikView Desktop, then it tries to contact Qlikview server and it get personnel Edition due to non availability of server as he is working from home.

would removing URL I specify above in my post will help here or you have some alternate to this.

Or its against License agreement as said by Bill Britt

Regards

ASHFAQ

View solution in original post

21 Replies
ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi

Try by removing url after you lease license.

url location is shown in shown in page 7.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Ashfaq for your quick response.

If I understood, removing URL will not stop the countdown of left days.

There is another way like Local License Key?

Regards
David

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

You could give a try with that.

Once you lease license then every time it tries to connect to server.

I think once you remove URL it will not connect to server and your lease will remain for 30 days.

Just give it a try.

Second option is that you have to purchase Local Named Cal for Desktop.

The minimum quantity that can be ordered is 5 Named CAL.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

I have never heard of removing the URL and not sure it would be in agreement of the license agreement. The Desktop Client ties to contact the server when it starts up and will continue to do so for 28 days. At the end of 29 days if no server contact has been made it will revert to Personal version.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Chris_Rice
Support
Support

If you have a situation where it would be preferable for your end user to not connect to the network once every 30 days in order to re-lease that license then you should contact your account manager at Qlik and ask them to convert one of your Named User CALs to a Developer License.

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi Chris Rice

I have seen a case let say.

User1 is leasing License from Server on his personal Laptop in his Office.

Now he is disconnected from QlikView Server domain.

Takes the content back home and work from home.

Once he open QlikView Desktop, then it tries to contact Qlikview server and it get personnel Edition due to non availability of server as he is working from home.

would removing URL I specify above in my post will help here or you have some alternate to this.

Or its against License agreement as said by Bill Britt

Regards

ASHFAQ

Chris_Rice
Support
Support

Hi ASHFAQ,

If User1 is using the same laptop he was using in the office, then the license should be leased and he should not be in Personal Edition.  If for whatever reason he is in Personal Edition after leasing a license earlier in the day there's something else going on and I would look into that.

It seems that the URL you are referring to is the AP URL, which only comes in to play if you're going to Tools > Open QlikView Access Point.  If you're not connected to the network that URL won't work, but I'm not sure how removing it would play in this scenario.  Also, removing that URL should violate any license terms unless I am completely misunderstanding the situation.

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Thanks for the clarification

Chris Rice wrote:

If User1 is using the same laptop he was using in the office, then the license should be leased and he should not be in Personal Edition.  If for whatever reason he is in Personal Edition after leasing a license earlier in the day there's something else going on and I would look into that.

Yes He is using Same Laptop. Whenever he open his QlikView Desktop from home I think Qlikview tries to connect to server again as it could not find server then it is personalizing his desktop.

What Could be the reason?

Chris Rice wrote:

It seems that the URL you are referring to is the AP URL, which only comes in to play if you're going to Tools > Open QlikView Access Point.  If you're not connected to the network that URL won't work, but I'm not sure how removing it would play in this scenario.  Also, removing that URL should violate any license terms unless I am completely misunderstanding the situation.

If we remove that url then server cannot make back connection and I think his lease will not lost.

I'm I correct?

How can we prevent this.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Chris_Rice
Support
Support

I'm not exactly sure on both accounts, and they should probably be posted as separate questions as I don't want to hijack David's post here.  I would start by ensuring that User1 has a Named CAL assigned to him on the server though, and then check to make sure that the server sees that CAL being leased.