Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to group to a new dimension?

My dear friends,

If I have a field called “city” in my source data and there are city A, B, C, D, E, F, G under it. I want to group city A and B to “east”, group C and D, E to “middle”, group F and G to “west”. And want “east”, “ middle”, “west” under a new field called “REGION”.

Can this be achieved in Qlik sense? How shall I do? Many thanks!

Regards,

Edward

5 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Edward,

Yes it can - this can be done using the expression syntax defined in the load script - or better yet defined in a new dimension. I will attach a sample app for you shortly.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

See attached .qvf file - copy to C:\Users\<your user>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps and restart Sense Desktop.

(NOTE: The LOAD Script contains sample script that is used ONLY to generate sample data for your example.
You can do this in any app by pressing the key combination CTRL + 0 + 0 while in the Data Load Editor)

Open Buckets App.

capture4.PNG.png

Better defined as a Dimension in the app, you can used this syntax:

Here is a simple one:

if(match(Alpha,'A','B','C','D'),'East','West')

Here is a nested one:

if(match(Alpha,'A','B','C','D'),'East',if(match(Alpha,'E','F','G','H'),'West','South'))

(you could also use this in the load script if you wanted to like this:

if(match(Alpha,'A','B','C','D'),'East',if(match(Alpha,'E','F','G','H'),'West','South')) as Region Bucket

Capture.PNG.png

Capture2.PNG.png

capture3.PNG.png

HTH

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

An alternated solution would be to apply a map.  This post explains how to do this.

Apply Map Concept

-Josh

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike and Josh, you are really nice. thank you a lot for your help.

I have tried Mike's approach. it solved the problem. I had achieved what I wanted to achieve. However, I do miss tableau while I was dealing with this kind of grouping. I urge qlik to make it easier.

I am not keen in scripting so I am sorry that I was not able to understand applymap. Sorry Josh but still appreciate your help.

Edward

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Edward,

Glad to hear you got it figured out. I'll pass your feedback to our products team.

-Josh