Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmoraleswit
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Qlik Sense takes almost three times longer to reload than QlikView

Hello,

I have a quite complex script I'm running on QlikSense and I noticed that it takes longer to reload (almost three times more) than in QlikView, I'm reloading both on the same machine.

In QlikView I don't generate a log file since it is a long script It took a long time to save the file. I tried to find a way to disable the option to generate the log file in QlikSense but I couldn't find any, is this even possible?

Thank you in advance

23 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gabriela,

Sounds like a unique case.  Typically the scripts that I run in Qlik Sense take half the time for me when compared to QlikView.  Which commands in the edit script are you using?

Anonymous
Not applicable

For me QlikSense reloads take about 50% longer than QlikView, both reload scripts identical and run on the same machine against the same data.

Most of the reload is loading from QVD's and I did notice a message about the QVD's being Qlikview 11.2 ones.  Do the QVD's need converting maybe ?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Bill - have these times been calculated a few times after conversion?

I know that the first time a QlikView QVD is brought into (read in) Sense - it converts it to the new optimized format that Sense uses for the app, but this only happens once. Subsequential reloads of the new format (if you created a new QVD with Sense - coming from source)  not QlkView - should then be much quicker. Can you verify this for us?

Thanks

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable

Michael

The QVD's are being generated using QlikView 11.2 Publisher every hour, so even if they are converted to QlikSense format they will be regularly overwritten by QlikView 11.2 format QVD's.

I was checking out the potential viability of QV 11.2 Publisher distributing QVD's to people to then use for QlikSense Self Service BI,when I noticed the 50% performance hit.

I'll double check next Monday the timings of the first & subsequent QlikSense Loads.  The 50% performance hit is annoying but not a showstopper.

Out of interest, can QV 11.2 read QVD's that have been converted to QlikSense format ?

It could also be useful if QV 11.2 had an option to create QVD's in QlikSense optimised format.  Or an exe or something that could be called to convert QVD's.

If we do decide to exploit QlikSense it shall certainly be in parallel use with QlikView for at least few years.

Best Regards,     Bill

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Bill -

No - QlikView cannot read QVDs created by Sense or once converted by Sense. Your suggestion about allowing QlikView to create an optimized format for Sense is a strong possibility for future releases of QlikView. I will run this by PM to see what they say and let you know. In regards to Sense and QlikView together, I agree. I have witnessed these conversations where it makes sense to have both products for different organization and knowledge worker needs. One is not designed to replace the other, they can compliment each other and provide choices to organizations on how they wish to deploy BI solutions.

If I hear something next week, I will update this post.

Take Care,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike

QlikView           reload takes consistently    10 secs          Tested 4 times

QlikSense         reload takes consistently    16 secs          Tested 4 times

Every time I run QlikSense reloads it issues messages like this :

Flight.Facts << RSMS.RSMSLIVE.Flight.Facts (old QVD (row based) optimized) QVD file generated by version 11.2 or lower was detected. Use STORE INTO to optimize and columnize this file.

Lines fetched: 64,703

QlikView reads the QVD's ok after QlikSense has loaded them, so I reckon that the first time a QlikView QVD is brought into (read in) QlikSense does not convert it to the new optimized format that QlikSense uses.

It appears that one needs to explicitly convert them with a QlikSense STORE INTO.  [I have not tested this].

What do you reckon ?

Best Regards,     Bill

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Bill - that very may be the case, I know "some things" change from time to time, from when they initially brief us, to when the product comes out. Would you mind testing that STORE command to optimize the QVD for Sense and then perform the reload to note the timings?

Thanks

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Hey Bill,

Yeah, the internal format has changed for QVDs between QlikView and Qlik Sense.

However to support portability between the two products Sense can read QVD-files that has been created by QlikView using the store command or through external tools.

If you load data from a QVD in Sense that has been created with QlikView you will notice a slightly longer reload time as the engine will have to convert that data into the internal format for Sense. Executing a STORE command on a table in Sense will create a qvd with the new internal format.

If you would create the same QVD with the two different products you would see the same reload times if not faster in Sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike & Alexander

I converted the QV 11.2 QVD's to QlikSense format with  LOAD *... STORE INTO,,,,, DROP TABLE.....

Then ran the script that I had bench marked loading from QV 11.2 QVD's as :

• QlikView                reload takes consistently    10 secs          Tested 4 times
  • QlikSense              reload takes consistently    16 secs          Tested 4 times

I then test ran the QlikSense load script loading from QlikSense QVD's 5 times and WTF !

• 59 secs
  • 51 secs
  • 50 secs
  • 49 secs
  • 50 secs

So this bench marks QlikSense loading from QlikSense QVD's as :

• 5 times slower than QV 11.2 loading from QV 11.2 QVD's
  • 3 times slower than QlikSense loading from QV 11.2 QVD's

I do hope it is me doing something stupid, but somehow I do not think so.

Any suggestions ?

This is a bit of the script that really seems sluggish with QlikSense, especially the RESIDENT LOAD :

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Temp.EZY.OTP:

load

1 as [EZY OTP Flag]

autogenerate(1);

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Temp01Flights :

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

LOAD

[Data Loaded Date],

[Data Loaded Time],

[Count] ,

[Flight ID] ,

[Airport IATA Code],

[Airport ICAO Code],

[Airport] ,

[Airport Airline Date Key] ,

[Arrival Flight] ,

[Departure Flight] ,

[Actual Turn Flag],

[MA Ground Time Minutes],

[Scheduled Flag],

[Cancelled Flag],

[Ferry Diversion Flag],

[Arrival Flag],

[Departed Flag],

[Origin Airport IATA Code],

[Origin Airport],

[Destination Airport IATA Code],

[Destination Airport],

[Departure Staff TCO],

[Departure Gate],

//////////////////// EZY specific ////////////////////////////

[Delay over 15],

[Delay over 15 within MGT Flag],

[Delay over 15 out of MGT Flag],

[Door Closed STD-3 Flag],

[Turn Performace ETD+3 Flag],

[Turn Performace ETD+3 Count],     

[EZY OTP Target],

[EZY TP Target],

[EZY DCT Target],  

[Scheduled Arrival Date LT],

[Scheduled Arrival Time LT],

[Scheduled Departure Date LT],

[Scheduled Departure Time LT], 

[Actual Arrival Date LT],

[Actual Arrival Time LT],

[Actual Departure Date LT],

[Actual Departure Time LT],

[Estimated Arrival Date LT],

[Estimated Arrival Time LT],

[Actual Ground Time Minutes],

[Delayed Departure Flag],

[EZY First Wave Flag],

[Flight Delay Minutes],

[EZY Territory] as [Territory],

[Business Unit Code] as BU,

[EZY OTP Flag]

FROM $(vRSMSFolderQVD)RSMS.RSMSLIVE.Flights.qvd (qvd)

where exists ( [EZY OTP Flag] )

;

drop table Temp.EZY.OTP ;

//drop field [EZY OTP Flag];

NoConcatenate Flights :

load

resident Temp01Flights

where

MonthName (  [Scheduled Departure Date LT] ) = MonthName(Today())

or

MonthName (  [Scheduled Departure Date LT] ) = MonthName ( AddMonths ( Today() , -1 ) )

;

drop table Temp01Flights ;