Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Limit # of Rows in Chart (Pivot Table)

Hi everyone,

I have a Pivot Table in which the dimensions are conditionally enabled. The user selects from a list of dimensions and then the chart 'builds' itself just like a traditional pivot table in Excel. Dimensions can carry a varying level of granularity so I would like to have a calculated condition on the chart so that the user doesn't create a pivot with say more than 100K rows of data returned.   Is there a way to set this calc condition so that the chart won't display if the combination of user selected dimensions and expressions would result in a chart with >100K rows?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
antoniotiman
Master III
Master III

Hi Mark,

try like

Count(Aggr(1,$(=Concat(Dim,',')))) < 1000000

Regards,

Antonio

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try something like if(sum(aggr(1, DimA, DimB, ..., DimX)) < 100000,1,0).

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Try with Rank() function. Can you provide sample data file.

-Ram

Not applicable
Author

Here is an example.  Let's say I do not want this pivot to calculate if the # of rows exceeds 10.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert - this method works but only if I explicitly state the dimension, e.g Dim1, Dim2, Dim3.  The method I'm trying to develop sets a variable and I could not get your suggestion to work using if(sum(aggr(1,vDim1, vDim2, vDim3))<100000,1,0).

For example, if I have 20 possible dimensions to choose from but only 10 open variable slots - vDim1, vDim2,...,vDim10.  This is so the user can pick at most 10 dimensions.  So I think for your method to work I'd have to use  if(sum(aggr(1,Dim1, Dim2, Dim3,...Dim20))<100000,1,0) - essentially list every single possible dimension in the aggr.   I will have 100+ possible dimensions in the list that the user can select so that'd get very lengthy.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Well, if you find an alternative (that doesn't involve macro's!), please let us know.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
antoniotiman
Master III
Master III

Hi Mark,

try like

Count(Aggr(1,$(=Concat(Dim,',')))) < 1000000

Regards,

Antonio

Not applicable
Author

Antonio - do you have any suggestion on getting this to work with a variable?  I've tried to change the =Concat(Dim...) to reference the my variable fields but cannot get the string to evaluate. My application is struggling to concatenate all of the Dim fields together (I have over 100).  I have 10 variable slots, vDim1 through vDim10, that the user can select from the list of 100 possible dimensions.

antoniotiman
Master III
Master III

Hi Mark,

what is the value of vDim1,...,vDim10 ?

Not applicable
Author

vDim1: =subfield(concat(Dim,' | '),' | '),1)

vDim2: =subfield(concat(Dim,' | '),' | '),2)

etc