Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView 10 System Monitor dashboard failing. Error message:XML document must have a top level element

Hello Everybody,

We are using QlikView 10 System Monitor dashboard.

It was failig to refresh from last 2 days.

While refreshing through QMC it we are getting the error message as below:

8/18/2014 4:52:37 PM: 0740    FROM C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService\TaskResults\TaskResult_*.xml (XmlSimple, Table is [Root/LogFinalEntries/LogFinalEntry])
8/18/2014 4:52:37 PM:         Error: XML document must have a top level element.
8/18/2014 4:52:37 PM:          On line number: 0. On column number: 0. System ID: file:///C:/ProgramData/QlikTech/DistributionService/TaskResults/TaskResult_9267342f-3e30-493f-a0bf-d....
8/18/2014 4:52:37 PM:         General Script Error
8/18/2014 4:52:37 PM:         Execution Failed
8/18/2014 4:52:37 PM:      Execution finished.

Then we opened the XML File, saved it and closed it. After that we did a reload through QMC and it ran successfully.

So, Could anyone please tell me what was the issue and how to resolve this issue, so that in future if we get this kind of issue, we can resolve it.

Thanks in advance
Sonali

10 Replies
ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

do you have latest version of the same?

If not you can get it from below link.

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-4307

Consider to have a look at Governance Dashboard.

Which is officially supported by Qlik.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ashfaq,

We are using QV10 system monitor dashboard.

Could you please tell me how to check the version of the dashboard because in the help option it's showing the QlikView version.

Thanks

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

Have a look at attached image.

I don't think there is direct way.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

This optio is not available in my version. And we care not using 5.2 version.

Is there any other ways to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Sonali

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Try by upgrading to latest version is the easiest solution.

Or else you need to deep drive to find out the route cause.

Try by enabling document log file.

Does it work manually.

Check server logs. etc

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Ok Thanks for your reply. I will check those logs.

No it runs on schedule job trigger.

jldengra
Creator
Creator

Hello, Sonali.

I have faced the same issue for some days, and the problem seems to be related to an empty XML file in the TaskResults subfolder. In your case, it was:

file:///C:/ProgramData/QlikTech/DistributionService/TaskResults/TaskResult_9267342f-3e30-493f-a0bf-d....

By simply renaming that file extension to .xml_EMPTY instead of .xml, the reload task in Publisher worked fine again for the QV System Monitor. I guess the file could have been deleted as well.

I think the file was empty because some Publisher task was manually aborted and the system was unable to write it.

It is not usual, but it can happens.

hareeshkumar_gv
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Jose,

I have changed the file extension from .xml to .xml_EMPTY. I am getting error message that file path not found. I tried in refresh of the application in desktop and QMC also. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

jldengra
Creator
Creator

My version is QlikView System Monitor v5.1.23. There is a point in the script where TaskResult_*.xml files are loaded: ...
FROM $(QDS1DistributionSeviceDirectory)\TaskResults\TaskResult_*.xml (XmlSimple, Table is [Root/LogFinalEntries/LogFinalEntry])

The file I renamed still survives in my server distribution service TaskResults folder as: TaskResult_82194630-9934-4952-ab96-05fbcd2fcb94.xml_EMPTY, with size 0 KB, and it is properly ignored every day when the system monitor is reloaded in Publisher.

Since your error regards a file path not found, I would check that everything is accurately configured in the Setup tab in your document. It sounds that something is misconfigured (e.g. QDS1DistributionSeviceDirectory). The values must be adjusted for your server and the document saved with these settings and reloaded there.